• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Espionage, Hollow Jefferson Nickels, Microfilm...1953

6 posts in this topic

spynickel.jpg

Photo depicts the hollow nickel used by Soviet spies to conceal a microphotograph.

The Hollow Nickel Case, 1953–1957

On June 22, 1953, the inner workings of a Soviet spy ring were uncovered with the crack of a nickel by a Brooklyn newspaper delivery boy. When the unsuspecting boy dropped the nickel on the sidewalk, it split apart to reveal a microphotograph with a series of numbers. The numbered code, the product of a Soviet one-time pad encryption system, was not broken until 1957, after Soviet KGB officer Reino Hayhanen defected to the United States.

Following its arrival in Washington, the coin received careful scrutiny by a team of FBI scientists. Hollow coins, occasionally used in magic acts and only occasionally seen by the FBI, were seldom if at all, seen by ordinary citizens. The coin was indeed unique, even for the FBI. It was a Jefferson nickel with a tiny hole drilled in the letter R of the word "TRUST." Investigators concluded that the tiny hole had been made to accept a device to open the coin. The other side of the coin had been made from another nickel minted during World War II and composed of a copper-silver alloy.

The information he provided on Soviet codes and cryptosystems helped the FBI Laboratory break the code. The discovery of the hollow nickel and its contents eventually led to the conviction of a Soviet spy best known by his alias Rudolf Abel. In 1962 Abel was exchanged for American pilot Francis Gary Powers, whose U-2 spy plane had been shot down over the Soviet Union two years earlier.

Link to whole story 4 pages

This is a good write-up.

As an aside, if anyone is interested in this type of stuff and want to see more, come to Washington, DC and visit the International Spy Museum. Aside from being one of my favorite museums, there are a few numismatic-related spy devices as part of the displays.

Scott hi.gif

I think it's neat that the two halves were a different alloy!

That means it had a large MM on the back. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for posting!

-Amanda

I don't get it - why would a spy or whatever spend his spy nickel on a newspaper? That doesn't make any sense to me. Spys aren't moronic. For that matter, if they were making a hollowed out nickel, wouldn't they at least get two nickels of the same year? I don't know if I believe the story, or at least believe it went down as they say.