• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dahlonega Gold Museum

2 posts in this topic

I was at the tiny Dahlonega gold museum over the summer and I was just musing to myself about the trip. I was hoping that they would have a set of Dahlonega gold coins and they did, but they were mounted on the far wall of a glass display and I didn't get anywhere near as good a look as the coins deserved. I wonder how much the set is worth? Anyone else ever been out there?

Unfortunately, like so many museum collections the coins have been cleaned. It is still a very impressive display and as a complete date set is quite valuable.

I have been to the Museum several times over the years. The Old Courthouse (where the museum is housed) was built in 1836 and was constructed from locally made bricks. The bricks were dug from Cane Creek, which was rich in gold. They used to let you go into an upstairs closet where the exterior wall brick is full of gold dust. When you shine a light on the wall it glitters. Nobody knows for sure how much gold is in all the brick but it has been said to be a considerable amount.