• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are the Jamestown commems ready to go out?

6 posts in this topic

"The United States Mint will help launch the Jamestown 400th Anniversary Commemorative Coins in a public ceremony at Jamestown Settlement in Virginia on January 11, 2007 at 10 a.m. This will be the first place in the Nation where the collectible coins may be purchased in person. The gold and silver coins may also be ordered from the United States Mint website starting at 12:00 noon (ET) on the eve of the launch, January 10, 2007."

If you can buy them in person at Jamestown on Thursday, does that mean you take posession of them then, or is it only a lame order form you'd get to fill out?

Great minds think alike. I too was confused by this, as the Mint's own ordering information pages for each of the four coins reads:

Shipping of the Jamestown 400th Anniversary Commemorative Coins is expected to begin in late January or early February.

So what's the deal? Are they striking an early quantity for release to in-person purchasers? Or is it a lame order form as you so aptly suggest? Who knows? It's the United States Mint. They don't need to be clear. Without them, you wouldn't have any stinking United States coins...

Beijim

The Mint will have a quantity available for direct purchase at Jamestown on January 11. When I called, they were unclear as to how many will be available. However, they will have order forms for those who want to purchase these commems but could not because of low supply.

A "contact" told me that one of the coin presses that would be striking uncirculated silver Eagles in Philadelphia has been used to strike Jamestown commems so ensure that they have enough in stock. This contact had no information on the gold being struck at West Point.

Scott hi.gif