• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What FUN meant to me this year!!!!

6 posts in this topic

FUN wasn't about coins for me this year......it was about getting away from my problems and getting back out in the world and living again. It was about making new friends and reconnecting with old friends that I see once a year at the Orlando Show. None of us are made of money so when the money runs out and the coins you're hunting dry up........FUN stays fun because of the people.......collectors and dealers a like. I think too many folks on the different coin forums forget about the truly important things in life and get caught up in the ruffling of feathers and the idea that their opinion is all that counts to everyone else. Living life doesn't mean picking up your keyboard for a few hours....it means taking care of business with your family.....calling your parents.......going to a movie with a family member or friend.....and yes it can mean interacting and sharing the hobby we love with others at coin club meetings, local shows, or show and tell at your childs school.

What are you doing to better yourself or further the hobby.......sitting in front of your keyboard worrying about why the mint shipped your coin with a spot on it? Having a hobby can be a powerful thing and having passion for things makes life worth living.......just don't get all caught up in this little things that don't matter.......let me say this just one time and hope it sticks Coins are supposed to be fun......that's it....it's simple but then again life is complicated enough so why stress out about coins.

I had the true privledge to get to talk at length about my life, coins, and family with some real special people including Brian Wagner, Ron Sirna, Julian, and a few folks that are a part of my local coin club. The underlying message of support consisted of...life is worth living and things will get better so hang on for the ride. Most of these folks are for the most part.....complete strangers.....outside of the message boards and yet their was a kinship and a connection that we all shared. Yes this hobby isn't just about coins........it's about being a good person in life and that can and usually does translate into how you are as a collector/dealer.

I met so many wonderful people this year that I hardly noticed I came with limited funds........because the frindships I made along the way meant more to me then the copper, gold and silver that I usually leave with so......in honor of those that shared a FUN adventure with me this weekend a big Thanks goes out to:

dpoole

Chris

Lou

MikeinFl

Michael

Greg Allen

JBstevens

Ron S

Brian Wagner

James

Gary

Beartracks

Tassa

Dena

Scott

Dog97

Bill Jones

Julian

Brandon

Coin

Jim Green

Wayne Herndon

Bill

Nick

(If I mssed anyone....sorry)

and yes......getting past this mushy stuff....I did buy some toned coins and even a little gold to get my new collection started thumbsup2.gif

I read your post a couple of times and at different times just to make sure that I absorbed the entire contents. There is one thing that I might point out about life’s meandering highway and that is your health. You could own a 6’ tall stack of MS-67 St. Gaudens, but if you did not have the strength or the ability to raise your arm to pick up just one of them or say you can’t move your legs to even move to the stack, well then, you now possess what you cannot enjoy.

Owning a thing of beauty is one thing, being able to look at, handle and identify the true artistic and historic nature of those items is yet another. What you said makes sense…stop and smell the roses, then and only then will you have succeeded in life.

Good luck in the future…we all need some.