• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My quick assessment of the Heritage auction of Capped Bust Halves

23 posts in this topic

I haven't studied the lots, and wasn't able to watch all the bidding because ebay live didn't work, but overall I think it went well.

Of 109 lots, 18 went unsold, and most of those were in the MS64 range. I'm assuming because of ultra high reserves, but I'm not sure.

All the 1807's sold.

Of the 1808's, there was a gorgeously toned NGC65 that went for $11,500

and an NGC66* that went for a whopping $20,700 (a O-109a R3).

The 1809 XXX O-110 (R4) in XF45 went for $1092, and although I wasn't crazy about this coin, I think it went for a bargain price (lucky winner).

The 1815/2 NGC63, which looked like an amazing coin, didn't sell. I forget the reserve, but I think it was 25K, if anyone remembers, let me know.

And 1817 NGC66* went for $25,350 (an R2) which amazes me, considering the 1808 went for less.

An 1818 ICG 63 went for $3,355. It was an R4 and condition census for the variety. Amazing that it was in an ICG holder.

I won the 1810 that I bid on for just under $1500, which I think was a bit of a stretch but I loved the coin.

Well, that's it for now.

And I was watching that 1810...Actually thought about it myself...With that cracked slab, you going to re-holder?

And Congrats! yay.gif

The 1810 you won looks like a really nice coin. My take on the 1817 going for substantially more than the 1808 is that the 1808 was more obviously, and likely more recently, dipped than the 1817 and simply did not look right. In my opinion, the 1808 was overgraded.

The 1810 you won looks like a really nice coin. My take on the 1817 going for substantially more than the 1808 is that the 1808 was more obviously, and likely more recently, dipped than the 1817 and simply did not look right. In my opinion, the 1808 was overgraded.

Thanks everyone for the good words, it always helps to feel good with positive input.

And Yes, Tom, that 1808 was obviously dipped. I hadn't looked at the population report for both NGC and PCGS and the 1817 is more of a conditional rarity, besides the fact that it is so totally stupendous and the star designations appears to be well deserved.

Actually, there were some really nice high grade examples of Busties in this auction, way out of my reach for affordability, but great to look at nonetheless.

Yeah that 1808 was either dipped or minted last week tongue.gif

Nope... Time Machine 893whatthe.gif

Excellent pick up of a fantastic looking coin. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well detailed stars like your coin has are a big point for me in the bust half I’m looking for my type set. thumbsup2.gif

Hi, MikeKing

Thank you for sharing your assessment of the Heritage auction of Capped Bust Halves. Also, congratulations on your winning 1810 Bustie, nice addition to your collection! 893applaud-thumb.gif

AAJ

Nice coin, Mike! Thanks for the assessment. I thought that some of the prices attained in this auction were awfully high, and it looks like no series was immune.

Hoot

Wow that is a really pretty coin Mike! Very nice thumbsup2.gif I don’t know why you had to make me go find it though makepoint.gif

Because I thought you needed to earn your stripes! sumo.gif

But now I feel bad about it. Like I didn't treat you right or sumpin yeahok.gif

And I was watching that 1810...Actually thought about it myself...With that cracked slab, you going to re-holder?

And Congrats!

I'll send it in for an regrade as soon as I get it! juggle.gif

422015443o.jpg

422015443r.jpg

Here are a few I'm familiar with, based upon my sight-seen inspection and bids:

1814 ANACS MS61 (I graded it MS63 plus and paid $2185 for it):

422343010o.jpg422343010r.jpg

1832 PCGS MS64 (I bid $3750 hammer for it on behalf of a client and it brought $4000 hammer):

422339008a.jpg422339008b.jpg

1834 PCGS MS64 (I loved the coin and won it on behalf of a client at $4250 hammer):

422339010o.jpg422339010r.jpg

That 1814 is a nice one for an MS61. What did you grade it Mark?

jom

If you had read my prior post carefully enough you would know how I graded it - check it again. tonofbricks.gif

Nice lot. That ANACS coin could be a steal, unless the graders at NGC/PCGS are having a bad day and disagree with you when you send it in...