• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab insert alterations.

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a process whereby an insert can be altered within the slab? I recently cracked open a coin slab and looked at the insert carefully. The second number on the grade appeared to have some alteration. However, the coin holder did not appear to be cracked or altered in any way. Is there some kind of laser technology that can mess with paper tags in the holder?

TRUTH

I can't think of any technology which could do that. I can imagine a laser might be able to vaporize ink on the insert without harming the slab in order to remove some print, but to change one number into another... I can't imagine how that could be done.

Large photos would be very interesting to see.

The coin was graded MS66. However, the second 6 of the grade appears very strange. When viewed closely, the ink, which sits on top of the paper, appears to have been melted and reformed. It maybe nothing or maybe something. confused-smiley-013.gif

TRUTH

Do you have a photo of the insert?

People have posted photos of NGC holders that were cracked cleanly enough to be reclosed with superglue.

Well, I have the insert, but I don't wish to disclose who the TPG is, since it would really not benefit anyone. I can say with confidence, that the holder was not tampered.

TRUTH

I was also thinking possibly a laser, but then how would you get the other number in place of the one you just nuked...then I read where the body absorbs the inks after it is broken down, so I think that is out of the question.

How are lasers used to eliminate tattoos?

Lasers are used to destroy the pigments in the tattoo. The surface of the skin is “transparent” to the laser beam while the heat of the laser focuses at the precise level of the pigment. The pigment chars and breaks down into small particles that are removed by the body’s immune system.

Keep us posted

(Edit: How about some sort of "attempt" to change the number and it was not successful? You know, trial and error?)

Laser label marking (burning) has been around for years. I saw it used to burn serial numbers on polypropylene I.V. bags (30) years ago. The only question in my mind is: can the label be erased and reprinted through the plastic slab.

HRH (HomeRunHall) ATS said he's going to drop a "bomb" on the hobby at the FUN luncheon on Friday. It is in reference to "new ways" unscrupulous coin vendors are cheating customers...perhaps you stumbled onto something with this slab. 893whatthe.gif

Hopefully we will get an update.

HRH (HomeRunHall) ATS said he's going to drop a "bomb" on the hobby at the FUN luncheon on Friday. It is in reference to "new ways" unscrupulous coin vendors are cheating customers...

Maybe he's decided to stop publishing the DHRC newsletter? grin.gif

jom