• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Royal Mail International Signed-for

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone (here in the US) ever gotten something shiped by "Royal Mail International Signed-for Service to United States"? A UK eBay seller has this as their shipping option. How does this work? Is $14.70 a reasonable amount to ship a proof in a box? How does customs fit into that? Thanks!

My purchases from Europe (based on the Euro) usually run about $10USD. Purchases from UK are a bit higher because of the strength of the Pound to the Dollar.

Chris

Has anyone (here in the US) ever gotten something shiped by "Royal Mail International Signed-for Service to United States"? A UK eBay seller has this as their shipping option. How does this work? Is $14.70 a reasonable amount to ship a proof in a box? How does customs fit into that? Thanks!

It's the same as registered mail with a return receipt. You will sign for it on delivery and a reciept is sent back to the sender.

Depending on the weight and the insurance (which is required in the UK), the prices for a large flat envelope for up to 100 grams (about 3.5 ounces) starts around 5-pounds (about 9.75, currently). Weight, insurance, customs fees, and exchange rate changes start adding up. Oh... and if the seller asked for the return receipt, you have to pay the postage for that, too (about 60-pence). Current exchange rate is about $1.95 to one Pound Sterling.

I have found that most British sellers are very honest and reasonable. If there's any mark-up, which I have seen very little of, it's usually by a pound. Consider what you are buying with the insurance and other delivery security services to determine if it is a good buy.

Scott hi.gif

Nice answer, Scott. What happens when the package gets to America? Do they contract the work with a company like fedEx or the usps, or does some guy with an English accent show up at my door demanding my signature one day? smile.gif

It's delivered by the USPS. Your postal carrier will get you to sign the return form.

There are treaties that govern this. It's supposed go from one government carrier to the desitination government carrier--even though the Royal Mail is not a government organization, it's considered a corporation of the crown, but that's another story! smile.gif

Scott hi.gif