• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know what caused this?

3 posts in this topic

1809 Overton 102 or 110.

As to what caused it, I don't think that the "real" reason has been established. My personal opinion is a screw strike-through which damaged the reverse die sometime during the time that the 110's were being minted.

We'll probably never know for sure, but it looks like whatever it was has hit the die twice. Note that the right side shows single marks with a cant to the right, while from the middle on, the marks are V shaped, angling to both right and left; also the marks to the right seem to run up above the left marks. What might have caused the wedge shaped marks? If something hit the die more than once, it should have left marks on the obverse, but I know of no 1809 obverse with corresponding marks.

Another inspection makes me wonder if there isn't a third distinct set of tracks.