• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best way to buy from the mint?

8 posts in this topic

I've been hearing some horror stories of orders being cancelled and the such, so I want to find out the best way to order from the mint. I will be ordering some of the Jamestown commems next month, and I want to make sure I get through and get my order in. Is it better to call or do it online? Best type of card: credit or debit? Any other hints? The coins are slotted to go on sale on Jan 10 is that midnight, noon, what?

Michael, it's much easier to order online. Whenever a new item is released for sale, it isn't unusual to have to wait an hour or more on the phone just to talk to Customer Service. If you register online and pay by credit card, the Member's "Quick Checkout" takes less than 30 seconds. You can also take advantage of their Subscription Program for things like Proof Sets, Mint Sets, Bags & Rolls for 5c, 25c, 50c & $ coins and Proof SAE's (no special issues, however). By using the Subscription Program, you don't have to keep track of when certain items are being released. They will be reserved and shipped to you automatically. Subscriptions can be changed or deleted at any time. Another advantage of registration is that the Mint provides you with your order history going back about 6 years.

A word of caution, though, if you register using a credit card. Be sure to update the credit card expiration date on your Mint account as early as possible. If you forget to do that, the Mint will not ship items to you automatically. For example, if there was a special item being released in June that you planned to order and you credit card expires in June, it would be best to contact your credit card company and ask them to renew it early. I believe you can renew most cards about 60 days in advance. I've read of many instances where Mint customers missed out on new releases just because they didn't update their credit card expiration date, and the Mint will tell you that it is your responsibility, not theirs.

Chris

Order online. It's incredibly easy, the packages are shipped as soon as they are in stock for processing and the shipping fee in laughable in how low it is.

Hi, Michael

Ordering online with a credit card from the US Mint is easy, I have been doing it for years without a mishap. The time items go on sale is noon, EST. The advice from the other forum members about making sure your credit card is current and updated on the expiration date is very important to remember!

AAJ

I feel that online with a CC is the best, but this might not be the best for everyone. Those with a slow connection might have a tough time with the Mint's site when it has heavy traffic.

One other thing to watch for is this. I placed a rather large order sometime back that was way over my normal history with the mint using the same card. They froze the order till I called in to confirm it. It was not the CC company, it was the Mint. They never tried to contact me, they just froze it. I was told they do this to protect against fraud. If I had not called in, I would have lost out on a really important order.

Can't recall what gave me the heads up but I think the site showed the order as pending or something like that way after the item sold out. You would not believe some of the stories I could tell of my dealings with the Mint many years ago. grin.gif