• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleepers

15 posts in this topic

PROOF Mercs

1820 Bust Halves

Matte PROOF Lincolns

just MHO

What do you believe to be real sleepers?

And if you agree or disagree with the above...why?

While it isn’t terribly difficult to find an 1803 or 1805 DBH, finding one that is unmessed with can be a significant challenge. I don’t think that is reflected in the current pricing of these coins.

Aside from the 1921 high relief, the 1928-P and the 1934-S Peace Dollars, there are 14 out of 24 under $100 in MS-60 (6 six of those 14 are rated at $20 bucks each!) foreheadslap.gif

I have an idea of what coins I believe are sleepers, though I will not list them all here. However, I do think there are other DBHs/CBHs that are at least as relatively undervalued as the 1820 is and I would hesitate to include matte proof Lincolns in the list since I do not know if there are enough of these to form a critical mass.

well here goes bois and gurls, these sleepers some are ultra +++ sleepers are not for the faint of heart as some might be hard to near impossible to find but i guess the thrill is in the hunt and the spolis go to the persistant and most are available to the majority of collectors but of course some are pricey

and away we go..................................

gem+ full original red non spotted matte proof 1909-p lincolns

not dipped out or enhanced red coins you see in pcgs/ngc holders all day long but full original red coins

and not coins that are red brown in red holders either

-----------------------------------------------------------

any true unc. territorial gold coins quarter eagle size to double eagle size

any 1874-p trade dollars vf to gem unc. and fully original not cleaned or hairlined-- good luck i dare you to find ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any fully original circulated 1870-cc seated dollar--good luck you are going to need it

----------------------------------------------------------

any choice xf or higher grade small planchet pine tree shilling that is unclipped, fully centered, fully struck and fully original............

------------------------------------------------------------

any really choice au to unc. average+ planchet classic head large cent--the ultimate in rarity/undervalued large cent

-----------------------------------------------------------

any choice planchet circ. 1794 flowing hair half dime

any gem proof thickly skinned original toned 1862 proof seated dime----good luck they aint out there

________________________________________________________--

any circulated small head 1795 flowing hair halves heads up for those of you these are the overton 126,127,128 coins

any circulated full denticles non problem draped bust dime

any fully original vf to unc. seated dollar, better dates an even bigger plus plus

any better date (read non common dated 1854 1874 1878) three dollar gold in really choice slider au

---------------------------------------------------------

any unc. to choice unc. fully original frosty or prooflike(prooflike would be a big +++) classic head quarter eagles

any cameo proof civil war 1861-1865 gold coins

any circ to unc. choice unc. gem unc. civil war copper, nickel, silver and gold coinage

_______________________________________________----------

any circ to choice unc. to gem unc. PRE 1878 cc fully original seated coinage, trade dollars

the rarest demonination brilliant proof cameo gold coinage ten dollar liberties!!

matte proof ten indians and twenty saints

pre 1815

copper, silver, gold type coinage circ. to unc. with great eye appeal and thick skinned surfaces

------------------------------------------------------------

any larger territorial gold coins $5 $10 $20 clark gruber mountain and pikes peak gold from colorado-important as this private minter eventually turns into the denver federal mint, beavers from oregon, the morman gold from utah and last but not least parsons and jj conway pikes peak gold from colorado

-------------------------------------------------------------

What's your definition of "sleeper"?

answer--coins like the above that are value and opportunity

the coins as per the above with the right "look" are sleepers and of course some more than others

Seated quarters from 1879-1889 ; the prices have never reflected true rarity

1892-S Morgans in XF

mint state half cents from the 1850s - another great buy IMO

key date Buffalos in Fine - the new VF

Mike

84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92, 93 Prestige Proof sets...who ever paid the purchase price from the Mint, has yet to realize a positive flow from these sets. As far as collectable, yes...but as an investement to flip or to hold, a big no!

With the start of the 95 increasing in value well over the initial purchase price, maybe one day the rest will play catch up!

(also, it's hard to keep some of those coins in these sets from hazing)