• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HSN RIP OFF

15 posts in this topic

Well my wife thought she was getting me such a nice Christmas present. Here back in August she was watching the NHS one evening and they gave a big BS talk about there Sacagawea Dollar collection.

All the Sacagawea Dollars from 2000 to 2006 P.D & S mint. Well she paid $ 400.00 for these and $ 450.00 with shipping and tax.

The coins are not graded and some so scratched up they would not even grade them. It is so bad that they take such advantage of people Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh am I mad but naturally could not let her know that.

There receipt I like it here is what it states.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HSN America Stores stand behind every product we sell and we want you to be completely satisfied with the purchase you make. If any HSN or AS product does not meet your expectations, you may return the item within 30 days of receipt. To assist you in the return and prompt handling of your item, please follow the simple instructions below. "All sales are FINAL" items have been drastically reduced and in order to provide you with these savings, we cannot accept returns on these items unless you received them damaged or defective.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now what the HELLO does the above mean???????????????

I know I am waisting my time but will call them in the morning.

WHATEVER YOU DO NEVER, NEVER PURCHASE ANY COINS FROM THE HSN!!!! PASS THE WORD ON TO YOUR WIVES I KNOW BETTER BUT MY POOR WIFE THOUGHT SHE WAS DOING SOMETHING GOOD BY GETTING THESE AND NOT GETTING RIPPED OFF BIG TIME!

Sorry to hear about that. At least your wife was trying to be sweet and buy you a coin smile.gif

One of the first things I told my wife when I started back into collecting was "never buy ANYTHING on HSN"

What the "above" means is pretty simple and straight forward. You have a 30 day no questions asked return window from the time of purchase, unless the item was sold on the show or website with a notice that all sales for that item were final. If she bought the coins back in August you are probably out of luck since the thirty days have long past.

Assuming wasn't August when she purchased the coins, tell HSN the coins don't meet your expectations and return them. Otherwise, your out of luck

Also, be gentle with your wife. She's probably more disappointed that you're not happy with the coins than are with HSN. She ment well.

What a sweet thing that your wife did for you! angel.gif Don't be hard on her.

Back in the mid 1980s, my wife bought me a 1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollar in VG at a local coin shop that I frequented. I had passed on the coin because it was cleaned/polished. A few days later, she went to the shop on her own and bought it for me as a Christmas present since this was one of the last coins I needed to complete my set. When I opened the present, I was touched that she took the time to get this present for me. I just placed the coin in my Dansco and let it retone (which it has done).

I upgraded the coin last year with a nice AU-58 example. Although I usually sell my duplicates when I upgrade, the 1916 is still in my album and it's not for sale. Every time I look at the coin, I think of the special lady that I had the good fortune to marry 25 years ago...

What a sweet thing that your wife did for you! angel.gif Don't be hard on her.

Back in the mid 1980s, my wife bought me a 1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollar in VG at a local coin shop that I frequented. I had passed on the coin because it was cleaned/polished. A few days later, she went to the shop on her own and bought it for me as a Christmas present since this was one of the last coins I needed to complete my set. When I opened the present, I was touched that she took the time to get this present for me. I just placed the coin in my Dansco and let it retone (which it has done).

I upgraded the coin last year with a nice AU-58 example. Although I usually sell my duplicates when I upgrade, the 1916 is still in my album and it's not for sale. Every time I look at the coin, I think of the special lady that I had the good fortune to marry 25 years ago...

It's not what you get. It's the thought that counts. The only thing I ever got from my (ex)wife was bills.

Chris

Well thanks for your comments just reading the posts again we left PA and are in FL now for awhile been in the high 80's since we arrived here in Ft Myers.

I was very nice to her new she felt bad told her it was the thought that counts. What made me mad was I had already told her never buy any coins from TV as it is a big rip off.

As stated I was very nice to her and thanked her was nice of her just to bad what she paid for this *spoon*.

I did not even contact HSN since she bought these a couple months ago this kind of stuff should be against the law seems that is the American way anymore take advantage of anyone you can.

I could never do that to anyone could not sleep at night.

get her a dozen roses, thank her profusely again, let her know how touched you were, and politely ask her to promise never to buy coins from HSN again. smile.gif

ps, in the card, you can provide the names and telephone numbers of your three favorite dealers.

this kind of stuff should be against the law seems that is the American way anymore take advantage of anyone you can.

You can ask whatever you want for something when you go to sell it. I'm not interested in getting the law involved with trying to decide how much I am allowed to make on a transaction. The only time they start skating on thin ice is if they start claiming that their prices are lower than anyone else, or if they start claiming that they are a good investment, or promising any kind of a specific return. But from the few times I have listened to these programs I would say that the spokespeople are working from a carefully designed -script and they skate very close to the edge but do not go over into lies or claims that would be actionable. Usually the claims made against them on the various forums are selective and quotes are taken out of context to make them look even worse than they actually are. In short the claims against them make the same kind of exaggerations that the shows make themselves.

this kind of stuff should be against the law seems that is the American way anymore take advantage of anyone you can.

You can ask whatever you want for something when you go to sell it. I'm not interested in getting the law involved with trying to decide how much I am allowed to make on a transaction. The only time they start skating on thin ice is if they start claiming that their prices are lower than anyone else, or if they start claiming that they are a good investment, or promising any kind of a specific return. But from the few times I have listened to these programs I would say that the spokespeople are working from a carefully designed -script and they skate very close to the edge but do not go over into lies or claims that would be actionable. Usually the claims made against them on the various forums are selective and quotes are taken out of context to make them look even worse than they actually are. In short the claims against them make the same kind of exaggerations that the shows make themselves.

The host of one of the major coin shows will not reply to my repeated e-mails that have been sent regarding statements made about the following topic. They said it was the various silver melts through out history, like the Pitman Act, that has increased the value of the silver coins. Included in that statement was the Manhatten Project. From what I can find out, only bullion, borrowed from the US Treasury and no coins were melted to make the Manhatten Project a success. I may have been the very first one to call them on this one...haven't watched the show as of late to see if they still use this as a ruse to urge you to buy silver coins or not.

If anyone is interested, I will post the article in it's entirety.

~Manhattan Project Silver Melt~

I have always heard in the past and still hear to this date that US silver coins were melted down to provide wiring and buss bars for now famous Y-12 Plant located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. It has always been the assumption that because of the vast amount of silver required to produce the U-235 Uranium used in first Atomic Bomb that the Numismatic hobby was permanently altered there after.

I have yet to read where actual silver coinage from the U.S. Mint was involved to make the electrical components of the Y-12 Plant. My research does reveal that silver bullion was transferred from the US Mint to the project, used to assist the then involved Scientist in completing equipment for this historic event.

A lot of people are under the mistaken impression that the silver used in the Manhatten project came from melted coins. So I wouldn't hold that abanst them too much except if they are still using that excuse after being informed otherwise.

Tell your wife about it not being a good deal.Because when she gets you more HSN stuff

and you do say something SHE'S going to explain how it's your fault for not saying anything AND she is right