• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Eagle Reverse Proof Photos

16 posts in this topic

I thought these photos came out ok. I wanted to show that the devices are very reflective and also to show some of the detail. When doing a regular DCAM the fields can be black and the reflectivity is assumed. Also on regular DCAMs there is no detail on the fields so you don't have to try to show any.

There really is a slanted grain like texture on the obverse field of this coin.

2006p-ase-o.jpg

2006p-ase-r.jpg

That texture on yours is very interesting. Mine doesn't show lines at all. It's more uniform, an even sandblast. If it weren't a proof, I'd call it matte or satin, but with the way those terms are bandied about describing the uncs. I hesitate to call it that. smile.gif

I like them mainly because of the novelty. If they start making them every year I'm not sure which I'd prefer in 20 years time.

The grain like texture on the obverse seems unusual and I wonder how it got that way? Has anybody else seen one like that?

That is a nice photo. I just received five of my sets yesterday. I am sending them into to get graded, going to keep one set in raw form. Hopefully my other order will get fulfilled.

TomB asks an interesting question. I thought I heard or read somewhere that the Mint was using laser etching on their medals, but not on coins at that time. Does anyone know if they're doing this to coins now? confused.gif

3 out of 6 of my coins look exactly like the coin Photoed. The other 3 coins do not have the lines. I would really like to know if those lines decrease the value of the coin. And how do those lines affect the grade of the coin? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. A photo of a coin with the same characteristics that has already been slabbed would be great if anyone has one.

The Reverse Eagle photographed above is certified by PCGS and graded PR 69. I agree with the grade. The coin was sold on eBay for about $230. Since several others exist this finish appears fairly common. So I'd say it has little effect on price or grade.