• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Gaze Factor

10 posts in this topic

I have a feeling this post won't go over well, and maybe I should have put it in my notes in the NGC Registry (where basically you can say whatever you think and no one will comment anyway), whatever the case, here it is:

Viewing your own coins, there are some coins that you look at longer than others.

Actually, I see it as gazing at the coin. Not looking at anything specific, but just gazing at the coin. Certain coins I will gaze at longer than others. Some of them, I just tend to gaze at for considerable periods of time.

So I think of it as 'the Gaze Factor', and I just wonder if coins that I have with a larger Gaze Factor would sell for more over greysheet than coins that I have with a smaller Gaze Factor. (this is assuming that my gaze factor is approximate to the majority of other people's gaze factor).

Does that make sense?

I understand where you are coming from. smile.gif

It sounds like eye-appeal to me, and I know I spend more time looking at my coins that I feel have better eye appeal than the coins that I don't like so much.

Like the coin in my signature, I could gaze at that for forever. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

-Amanda

Yes, it does! Unfortunately, one person's treasure is another person's trash. It's one thing to be "marching to the beat of a different drummer", but don't do it on the expressway during rush-hour traffic. One of my favorites to "gaze" upon is the '98-O DMPL that I bought from James. You're not alone!

Chris

I agree with Amanda. Eye-Appeal is definitely an important factor in coins. Coins with great eye appeal will often grade higher (to some people's chagrin), and will usually sell higher. Eye appeal, like art, is often very subjective, and what you think is beautiful may be ugly to someone else. It really depends on what your tastes are compared to everyone else's (and I don't know what your tastes are.)

Yup, I agree with this very much. The greatest pride I take in my coin collection has nothing to do with price, and very little to do with "grade". Rather, I take pride in the fact that nearly every day, I pull a coin album off my shelf for the purpose of perusing the beauty of what I've accumulated. This morning, I was looking at "Library of Coins Album #2" for Morgan dollars. Yesterday, I looked through my Whitman album of Large cents by date.

I usually do this for a few minutes after I come home from work. It's relaxation therapy for me.

Gotta agree with Amanda here - it's an eye-appeal thing, and it is quite subjective. For example, I could look at my avatar Barber Half for lengthy periods of time because it really catches my eye, but I will skim over tons of rainbow Morgans because I don't find them appealing.

I also find my Large Cents and Half Cents extremely appealing because I just love old copper.

I just wonder if coins that I have with a larger Gaze Factor would sell for more over greysheet than coins that I have with a smaller Gaze Factor. (this is assuming that my gaze factor is approximate to the majority of other people's gaze factor).

Yes they should and in fact I don’t really care for the greysheet because of this. I’m often willing to pay more for a lower grade coin if it has “Gaze Factor” over the same coin in a higher grade that does not have any “Gaze Factor.”