• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disparities emerging between online price guides

8 posts in this topic

I was in my local B&M shop today and noticed a Capped Bust Half (1834) he had in his shop for some time. I wasn't in the market to buy this particular piece because although it has the details I'm looking for (VF-XF) it's definitely been cleaned and/or dipped. I was interested in the price this time as it's been sitting for some time...he has $90 on it. At first thought I didn't think this to be overly excessive but I just checked FMVs and they have $85 for one in XF...for comparison I checked PCGS...they list an XF as $175. Now here's my question... What is this coin worth in todays market and why is there such a disparity between two major online price guides? Has anyone seen this disparity for other issues?

Leo

This disparity exists for many issues and can be due to the dilligence with which data is collected and analyzed as well as any agenda that the publishing entity has or pushes. For example, NumisMedia publishes prices that are affected by real-time sales if you give them the information regarding the sale. I have contacted NumisMedia about their listed prices for many circulated, early Federal coinage and, after I shared my real-time purchase information and other sales history with them, they have modified thier price guide to reflect market reality. This is not the case with every price guide.

The usual assumption made is that the PCGS price guide is for accurately graded coins, and by extension many assume it should only be used for PCGS coins. All else being equal, I'd expect the PCGS price to be higher since it will sell for more, in the general case, than a raw coin -- all else being equal. But that is a huge discrepancy, and something's gotta give...

That price should net you an uncleaned XF40. It's a bit high for a cleaned example, even at XF45. Busties are a tough call in the market, today, though - demand is way up and I see bidding wars every day for them.

I'm working on them in VF+, and having a bear of a time finding any at all with nice original surfaces.

That price should net you an uncleaned XF40. It's a bit high for a cleaned example, even at XF45. Busties are a tough call in the market, today, though - demand is way up and I see bidding wars every day for them.

I'm working on them in VF+, and having a bear of a time finding any at all with nice original surfaces.

That's sort of what I was thinking but the response just after yours would indicate otherwise. One thing you suggest though that I'm seeing across the entire market is that "nice original surfaces" in VF+ to AU is commanding strong money. I'm trying to get a date set of Braided Hair Large Cents together in this grade range and I'm stymied on the last few dates. Several I've bid on recently have gone for much over Red Book in some instances.

Leo