• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamestown Commemorative Photos

22 posts in this topic

Now that the new images are out of the actual coins, what does everyone think of them?

Silver Uncirculated:

1543720-Jamestown_silver_uncirc.jpg

Silver Proof:

1543722-Jamestown_silver_proof.jpg

Gold Uncirculated:

1543733-Jamestown_Gold_Uncirc.jpg

Gold Proof:

1543731-Jamestown_Gold_proof.jpg

Artist's Impresions:

1513910-2007.jpg

1543720-Jamestown_silver_uncirc.jpg.b7739de11ac18b2d698f084603416886.jpg

I personally think that seeing them in coin form rather than in a drawing makes them much more appealing. I already liked the designs, but seeing them in (almost) 3D makes them delicious. The textures on these commems is awesome; the high-res 2000x2000 original images at the mint's website are really nice.

Sorry I'm gushing. I'm just a fan of these. Someone want to buy me the gold ones?

1543722-Jamestown_silver_proof.jpg.01131e8ff21870f708227abe55142f2f.jpg

The silver has an outstanding reverse and the gold an outstanding obverse. Why couldn't the Mint have combined them into one great coin? The guy in the middle on the silver dollar looks like he just got his moustache waxed and beard trimmed, and he's got a little pocket pool action goin' on. tongue.gif

Hoot

The dollar coin has a bit too much going on in the image, especially the obverse.

The $5 gold is very good -- I don't like that inner ring on the obverse (looks like some damn Las Vegas slot machine token), but overall it's a better design. Going to pick up a couple of the $5 coins.

indian on the silver poor /gold indian better.Silver doesn't look native.All three on the silver look like the same person one big lips big nose one beard small nose one no beard med nose and no lips. the rare verity will be big lips beard med nose worth the big bucks thumbsup2.gif

The silver has an outstanding reverse and the gold an outstanding obverse. Why couldn't the Mint have combined them into one great coin? The guy in the middle on the silver dollar looks like he just got his moustache waxed and beard trimmed, and he's got a little pocket pool action goin' on. tongue.gif

Hoot

I agree with Hoot. They should have used the gold obverse on the silver. The problem I have with the silver reverse is that it is too much like the Virginia States 25c. A little originality should be in order, here. Why don't they just put Monticello on the reverse? I'm sure that would make many Virginians happy.

Chris

The reverse of the Silver is cool But I think they need about three more nationalities on the obverse to be totally PC...

The Gold looks like there having some kind of drug deal on the Obverse and what's the Alamo doing on the Reverse...

The designs are way to busy for my tastes, they should have more public input on the finial designs...

I'll go along with Hoot, the Obverse of the Gold and Reverse of the Silver would be a nice coin...

I like the reverse of the silver dollar. The obv looks like the kind of quality you would see on a silver round. And of course it has to be PC and show "diversity" by including the negro woman on it even though there were no negros at the founding of Jamestown and the first ones didn't arrive until something like eight years later.

I also plan to ignore them because They got their 400th anniversary coin some seven years ago with the Virginia state quarter which they used as a seven year advertising piece.

So who got the motif of three ships on the reverse 'better'?

Jamestown or Columbus?

1544260-ships.jpg

I just noticed that the cabin on the left-hand ship of the Jamestown coin looks more like an outhouse.

Chris

Why does the Indian look like Ben Gazzara? confused-smiley-013.gif

He looks depressed - like he knows what's coming.

Hoot

Man Hoot you said a Mouthfull,,,If you have ever been to Jamestown in the summer then you would look just about the same...

They should have put a mosquito on the reverse gossip.gif

They should have put a mosquito on the reverse gossip.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

That would have mde the coin a sellout.

Perhaps also a few people dying of yellow fever on the obverse. insane.gif

sorry.gif

Hoot

The flags look like there sailing inti the wind on the jamestown 2 ships on the right.Colunbus has the flags and pennent the right way or take a look at the 2000 Leif Ericson flag it right.Person who made the final ok on the design doesn't sail should be changed before their made.Like the song says you don't spit into the wind you don't pull the mask from the old lone ranger------ or you could say only a fool sails straight into the wind

foreheadslap.gif