• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats my Grade? 42-D Jefferson..(big pics)

11 posts in this topic

What’s my Grade? 42-D Jefferson... I just picked this up a week or two ago for dirt cheap(10.oo) it has nice tone to it also looks like FS but just wanted to get some real great opinions before sending it to get it put in a slab... thanks, D

fb64f56c.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

thanks for looking again and Happy Holidays to All !! thumbsup2.gif

This coin is MS66 but NOT FS. This is not Full Steps! The reason is you are missing Step 6, and you have hits on the other steps. This one is close but no go. On a good day you might get MS 67. Thats what I think. Leave it raw if you ask me.

Not really at this time (the slab game). But just needed to get good idea of value and wanted some experienced opinions thanks again Bruce Happy Holidays

btw did u send that template? My e-mail has been a little fuzzy as of late.

No problem, thank you very much for the template I am working on it now, I have been working on the pics which takes the longest but will hope to have somin up shortly I will let you know when thanks Bruce

You have enough steps to qualify Full Steps, but the small hit across the 5th step will probably disqualify this designation.

Perhaps it's the magnification distortion but I would have liked to see more outline in the windows/doors of the reverse, inside the mint mark the "D" is weak and a little bit crisper date on the obverse would have been nice.

It's an MS-64 for sure might make 65 on a good day.

Lots and lots of 42-D's show this type and shade of toning, the spot below the "O" in Monticello is not in the focal area so it is not unattractive.

I have based these opinions on raw and graded 1942-D Jefferson nickels.

Won't it be a nice surprise if it does better!

Hopefully it will 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You got a great deal there! This would be a pick for me for an album coin for that issue. It would be superb for that usage. As for slabbed, It'd probably go 65, but grading from a photo sucks. As for FS, if the tic on step 5 under pillar 1 is overlooked (and it may be), then it'd get an FS designation. Better likelihood of this with PCGS than NGC.

Hoot