• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hardest coin to find for a US Type 7070 set?

33 posts in this topic

One more question. There are no dates in the section for commemorative half dollars, but there are four spots. I am not that familar with these type of coins. Any ideas on these?

Unlike Amanda, I hate those 4 holes. Personally, I believe the type set should be a set of coins that are/were used in commerce, and these don't belong in the set. There are plenty of other types (Seated varieties, for example) they could have used the space for. So, I left those 4 holes empty. The only reason I have a Buffalo Dollar and ASE in my set is I already had those coins in my possession.

Columbians and a few of the other commems did circulate!

The commem slots offer a great venue for personalization of your set, but depending on the grade range you are looking for they may be difficult to obtain. If you are looking for MS coins then your budget is the only concern since there are no rare or scarce classic commems. However, if you are looking for problem-free, circulated coinage then you will likely be limited to the Columbian, Grant, Lexington, Lincoln, Maine, Monroe, Oregon Trail, Pilgrim, Sesquicentennial, Stone Moutanin, BTW and WC issues. The remaining issues are rarely found in problem-free, circulated condition.

I was working on my 7070 set last weekend and finally put some raw commemorative coins into the slots. I used a toned 1893 Columbian AU50; a toned 1946 Iowa MS62, a toned 1921 Pilgrim MS62 and a reverse toned Monroe Doctrine AU 53 in the final slot.

For my modern commemorative, I only have proof coins from the mint so I used the 1986 Statue of Liberty dollar. I may have to reconsider this since it is my only proof coin in the 7070.

I have six slots remaining to fill in the album. A coronet half cent, a shield nickel with rays, two seated dimes, the early and one with arrows and both seated dollars.

A number of coins have been in my collection since childhood and several I have taken from circulation including the Kennedy Halves, Bicentennial coinage, the state quarter, Ike Dollar a couple of the cents

This is something that I will probably tinker with for a long time. I'm being careful to try and match my coins as much as possible regarding look and grade. Upgrades or switching will probably happen the rest of my life. This is something I would like to keep in the family if my children are interested. I've had a lot of enjoyment doing this, which for me is the greatest reward of all. cloud9.gif

One more question. There are no dates in the section for commemorative half dollars, but there are four spots. I am not that familar with these type of coins. Any ideas on these?

Being an avid boater and a fan of old ships, I chose four commemoratives that have a nautical theme and put them reverse-up:

Pilgrim:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

Huguenot:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

Long Island:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

Columbian (this is not the actual coin in my 7070, but I don't have a pic of that one):

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

Have fun....Mike