• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hardest coin to find for a US Type 7070 set?

33 posts in this topic

What would you say is the hardest coin or coins to find for collecting a US Type 7070 set? I just recently started one and was wondering which would be the most difficult to find.

Thanks

None of the types are particularly difficult. However, if you are trying to get original, problem-free coins then several present problems including:

Problem free classic head large cent.

Seated dollars and trade dollar in an undipped yet attractive state.

The large cent took me almost a year to find. I've yet to locate a seated or trade dollar after almost a year and a half of looking. The rest are pieces of cake in comparison. All IMHO...Mike

I wrote a thread specifically on the quirks of the Dansco 7070 US Type Set and you may find it in the What You Need To Know forum. It may help you greatly in the future if you take the time to read the thread. In my opinion, Classic head copper and Seated dollars are easily the most difficult coins to find in attractive, problem-free states.

#1: Classic head large-cent

#2, #3 (tie): Seated dollars

I've put together several of these sets for clients and myself, and I find the above three coins to invariably be the toughest. You will need A LOT of luck if your goal is a beautiful EF or AU level set. Even VF is frustrating!

I agree with the Classic Head Large Cent and the Seated Dollars - tough to find matching coins and also the most expensive. These are the three of the four holes still in my set (along with the Draped Bust Large Cent).

But what a great set this is to be working on!

This is the set that I find myself continuously working on for upgrades - ebay, coin shows, coin shops, websites - even looking through pocket change for that perfect circulated looking clad coin.

Good luck on your new type set.

Barry, that is one beautiful Dansco Type Set !!! And it looks like you found a nice smooth problem-free Classic Head Large Cent. You rarely see a planchet that nice on those Classic Heads.

I have just started my second Dansco 7070 (sold my first one just over a year ago) and I hope to have all of the pre 1948 silver looking kinda like my avatar Barber Half. Think I'll have problems finding all of those?

Agreed with others about the seated dollar. I've been trying to find a nice, original AU-58 for my type set for a long time. I've seen very few, and most of those I've seen have sold for close to double the sheet value. The vast majority of them are badly cleaned and/or dipped. I'd say at least 90% of EF/AU Seated Dollars have been seriously messed with, and that number may be closer to 95%.

Agreed with others about the seated dollar. I've been trying to find a nice, original AU-58 for my type set for a long time. I've seen very few, and most of those I've seen have sold for close to double the sheet value. The vast majority of them are badly cleaned and/or dipped. I'd say at least 90% of EF/AU Seated Dollars have been seriously messed with, and that number may be closer to 95%.

Agreed! I have two nice, original seated dollars in my type set, one an AU-55 and the other a 50. I'm looking to improve the AU-50 (with motto type) to a 55 at the FUN show. I don't want to see any shine on these coins! Too much of that is readily available slabbed these days.

Thanks Auld. I looked at a lot of Classic Head LCs before buying that one. I got it from Chris McCawley at one of the Balto shows a few years ago.

You'll find what you're looking for. It will just take time. My advice is be picky and buy the right coin the first time. If you're not sure about a coin after looking at it, pass. ANother one will come along.

agreed a nice average+ planchet classic head large cent

is for me the hardest coin to acquire in good looking xf and above condition

original seated and trade dollars a close second

see me at fun i will have a couple of monster seated dollars for sale possibly one trade dollar totall original and hairline free

and also extremely sexy eye appeal throw away the sheets but they will be fairly priced for what they are and in fact bargains for what they truly are

but if you are a sheet buyer then i do not want you to waste your time

these coins will make grown men weep

One more question. There are no dates in the section for commemorative half dollars, but there are four spots. I am not that familar with these type of coins. Any ideas on these?

One more question. There are no dates in the section for commemorative half dollars, but there are four spots. I am not that familar with these type of coins. Any ideas on these?

This is my favorite section of the book. laugh.gif

Basically, you can choose any four commemorative half dollars you like!

There are classic commemoratives from 1892-1951 and modern commemoratives from 1982-present.

Here's a good starting point to learn about the classics.

And you can see pictures of all the commemorative designs towards the end of the Redbook.

I chose my commemoratives for different reasons. I picked the 1893 Columbian because it is the first design. I picked the Stone Mountain because I live in GA and also because it connects to the Civil War. I have a 1995 Civil War Battlefields commem also, because I like Civil War history. My other ones are the Washington from 1982 (a very available coin with a nice design) and a 1986 Statue of Liberty proof. These are a couple coins my dad had left over from times BC.

My classic commems are circulated while my moderns are MS and proof. There are so many combinations you can come up with for these spaces and you can really make it your own. This is why I prefer type 'collection' rather than type 'set' because everyone's is a reflection of themselves.

I hope this helps! laugh.gif

-Amanda

The commem slots offer a great venue for personalization of your set, but depending on the grade range you are looking for they may be difficult to obtain. If you are looking for MS coins then your budget is the only concern since there are no rare or scarce classic commems. However, if you are looking for problem-free, circulated coinage then you will likely be limited to the Columbian, Grant, Lexington, Lincoln, Maine, Monroe, Oregon Trail, Pilgrim, Sesquicentennial, Stone Moutanin, BTW and WC issues. The remaining issues are rarely found in problem-free, circulated condition.

At the last Baltimore show I found a great rarity. An 1812 large cent in G-VG on a smooth planchet with decent color at a price where I could sell it to my want list customer for less than $100. cool.gif

Unlike Amanda, I hate those 4 holes. Personally, I believe the type set should be a set of coins that are/were used in commerce, and these don't belong in the set. There are plenty of other types (Seated varieties, for example) they could have used the space for. So, I left those 4 holes empty. The only reason I have a Buffalo Dollar and ASE in my set is I already had those coins in my possession.