• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Voce Populi

11 posts in this topic

The Voice of The People.

I really like this coin. I haven't read much about it, to be honest, and what I find is that it probably didn't have much use in the Colonies.

It was made in Ireland and there are a few ways they may have made it to the Colonies. One is through the Irish who settled in certain areas. It may have come in through Sailors or merchants, and it may very well have been used here because of a paucity of copper coinage around that time.

Whatever the case, I think this is a beautiful example. I was thinking of looking for one in a higher grade until I realized that part of this coins beauty is that it was used!

If anyone can add to the history of this coin, I'd love to learn more about it.

1503460-vocepopuliobverseB.JPG

1503462-vocereverseB.JPG

Mike - A superb piece. Most of these have very rough surfaces and are beaten up pretty severely. Yours is a Breen 222, "mature bust." The half pence were, as you said, brought from Ireland. Breen lists one mint, perhaps more: Dublin - Roche's on South Kind St. Breen also states that some appear struck, others cast. It's likely, to my knowledge, that the cast pieces were counterfeits, as counterfeiting coppers in the time was common. Also, Breen mentions many that had a brassy appearance. These also may have been counterfeits, although they could have been genuine, since copper was commonly mixed with tin at the time, and even those commissioned to do the minting were apt to seek an extra buck or two by stretching out their copper reserves.

A very pleasing piece, Mike, and if that urge to get rid of it ever grabs you again, you know where to find me. wink.gif

Hoot

Interesting, I always thought the phrase was "Vox Populi". Fun coin. thumbsup2.gif

I believe it is in Latin, but it may not be in Italian.

Chris

Lots of European coins had Latin on them. I assumed this coin would be in Latin. Why would an Irish coin be in Italian?

Anyhow, like I said, fun coin.

Interesting, I always thought the phrase was "Vox Populi". Fun coin. thumbsup2.gif

Chris

Lots of European coins had Latin on them. I assumed this coin would be in Latin. Why would an Irish coin be in Italian?

Anyhow, like I said, fun coin.

'cause St. Patrick was Italian.

Cool coin.

The obverse looks like Olive Oil (the cartoon character, not the product!!)

She must have been pretty important to be that ugly and still get put onto a coin!

(More likely some important guys homely daughter)

thx, GAB

Nice halfpenny. Is the date considered large or small letters?

My answer to that is I don't know. I couldn't find anything making this distinction.

Chris

Voce Populi is Latin for voice of the people or voice of the nation - either works.

Hoot