• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great Coin Edge Photography Thread

9 posts in this topic

A View Often Overlooked - New Coin Photography Method - Lots of New Pics Inside

The above link will take you to a thread across the street that I think is simply stellar. It details a cheap, simple method for photographing a coin with the entire edge showing in the photo by placing the coin in a parabolic flashlight reflector prior to photographing it. It ought to be great for photographing the new dollar coins, as well as anything else with edge-incused writing. Photographers check it out.

I saw something like this in the journals of one of the ANA conventions. I don't remember which, I think it was in the early 90's. But the guy went and had mirrors especially made for each coin size, and it talked about all the materials and exact shapes. Anyone who has these journals might take a look and point to the exact location.

This method has been around for a very long time. It is not as accurate as a good roll-out image, but is a lot easier to make. The circular image can be converted into a straight image in Photoshop.

For the best quality, use a concave front surface mirror rather than the plastic, back surface aluminized flashlight reflector. Also, if you want a little space between the rim of the coin and the reflection of the edge, place the coin on a short spacer so that the edge does not touch the reflector. You will end up with a small gap between the rim and the image of the edge.