• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guns & Ammo & Coins?

7 posts in this topic

Advertisement seen inside the back cover of the May 2006 issue of American Rifleman (National Rifle Association) magazine.

GunsAmmo.jpg

GunsAmmoII.jpg

I have no affiliation with NRA or First Fideltiy Reserve just thought it interesting so see NGC slabbed Eagle with guns in the background. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I see these offers of free silver eagles fairly regularly. They're frequently used as cheap ways to add your number to a telemarketer company's list. These days, a company is allowed to call your number even if you're on the government's do-not-call list if they've done business with you within the last 2 years.

Unless you really want to be hounded day and night for 6 months with highly overpriced "you need to get this right now deals" then I would recommend to shy away.
I ordered some inexpensive NGC encapsulated ASEs from 1st Capital Reserve and got to hear their sales pitch. I am generally interested in how various businesses work so I talked to their sales guy for a while. They are based in Texas, have about 100 employees and were founded in the 1980s. They seem to only deal with NGC/PCGS encapsulated coins, specifically American gold and platinum coins from 1866 to the present including AGEs/APEs. On their first call to me after I received my cheap ASEs, they asked if I had $100K to invest in NGC/PCGS coins of their choosing in their target areas. I wasn't able to get any aggregate past portfolio preformance statistics so I had to decline, but I think he said he's going to try and get me some.

I wonder if there are other companies like this and if they have an noticable impact on the coin collecting market. Their website says they have handled almost $750M in transactions for over 250,000 clients. I imagine many of the customers are just customers of the cheap ASEs but there is the dollar volume claim. It seems amazing to me that people with no coin background will invest $100K to over $1M (their brochure has a checkbox for $1M and above) though it seems similar to investing in the stock market through stock brokers and mutual funds. I wonder if their account executives have to be Registered Investment Advisors or something. At least the coins are American and NGC/PCGS graded. If he calls me again, I'm going ask how they are regulated and for some prices on specific coins/grades while having a price list in front of me.