• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this is funny real error..

15 posts in this topic

Geez, I guess he really believed that the Mint pulled out the IHC dies after 83 years just to see if they were still good. I've got to send him an eBay question because I have some waterfront property for sale...............on the North Pole.

Chris

Geez, I guess he really believed that the Mint pulled out the IHC dies after 83 years just to see if they were still good. I've got to send him an eBay question because I have some waterfront property for sale...............on the North Pole.

Chris

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif.................... screwy.gif i think huh but funny overall

As a statement about one's disapproval of modern coin design, I like it!

Michael, get back to your studies or I'll sic the population on you!

Chris

lol!! What really would have been screwed up is when I looked at the reverse if it had had the "A" and "M" touching. Then the seller or whoever altered the coin would have ruined a serious mega-bucks genuine variety!!!!! But, I can see the two letters are separated at the bottom.

Billy

Hey, Billy! Happy Holidays to you!

Are you talking about AM mayhem?

Chris

Happy Holidays and Safe & Happy New Year to you and everybody!

Yes, I'm talking about the "AM" on AMERICA. Since that coin is a 1992-D cent, the normal reverse for that date is the "A" and "M" are separated. There are just a few known with the "A" and "M" joined for the 1992-D as well as for the 1992 Philly issue. They are also referred to as the 1992 Philly or Denver cent mated with 1993 reverse.

The 1992-D can bring around $1500 or so AU. MS grades can be in the $2500 + range.

The 1992 Philly is, as far as I know, only one known that being the discovery specimen. That one can bring around the $3000 + depending on grade, color, etc.

So, the point I was making was that if I had seen on the reverse of this altered coin the "AM" letters of AMERICA were joined at the bottom segments -- then the person would have in fact actually destroyed an extremely valuable and ultra-rare variety.

Billy

No one asked, but I've always been of the opinion that it's more fruitful to try to inform and educate such sellers, rather than to poke fun at them. Granted, some of them know they are selling bogus items, don't care and are quite rude. Others, however, are unaware of what they are selling, and making them aware of it can often produce positive results, all around.

I had a similar experience after I had submitted to NGC my 2001-D Kennedy that is missing the clad layer on the reverse. An eBayer had listed one raw and he stated that it was a one-of-a-kind error. I contacted him and informed him of mine, so he promptly added this new information to his listing. He was very appreciative because he didn't want to mislead anyone. His coin ended up selling for $555. I wish now that I had bid on his.

Chris