• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which coin do you like better and why? Details revealed!

50 posts in this topic

Doesn't anyone care about the scratch on the first coin? 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

You mean that one that runs from the left rim around and down into the "D" in "God?" Yea, I see it, but I'm so impressed with the strike that I would love to own that coin so that I could appreaciate what De Francisci really wanted to show in his design. The fact that it's only been graded MS-62, probably because of that scratch, makes the coin affordable. Without the marks it's one of those coins that gets into an MS-66 holder with a $6,000 price tag.

I won't pay that kind of money for most any 20th century coins, except the 1907 High Relief $20 in my collection, which is a piece of beauty and history..

The fact that it's only been graded MS-62

Graded by whom? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Regardless, I'm with the majority in liking the first coin more than the second, principally because of the strike. I don't have a real good sense, however, on how this coin would appear in person, and (aside from the scratch) I wonder about the glossy/polished look of the highest points in relief.

I like the toning of #1 better, and the overall strike.

The only problems that I see are the aforementioned scratch, and particularly the cut on Libertys cheek.

Therefore, I'd have to go with #2, because of the clean fields AND especially the cheek.

I would actually pass on both, and try to find a coin with the strike of #1, and the smoothness of #2. (I know - good luck!)

It seems like these high relief Peace dollars are really vulnerable to hacks on the nose, chin and cheek ?? I see very few "clean" faces on the ones I've seen, especially if they have a good strike ?

I agree with # 1 having a great strike but I just don't think that toning is all that old.

It could have been just as white as the other one less than a year or two ago.

So I'm going with the graded MS-65 one. I could eBay that PCGS MS-65 Peace Dollar and buy me a nice Walker.

even though I am not really a fan of toned coins, Coin #1 is head and eagle above Coin #2. #2 has such a weak strike I would want to own it at any grade.

I much prefer the strong strike and color on coin #1. However, I am not discounting the the scratch and the potential rub under the toning that contributes to the grade. Without seeing the coin in hand it is difficult to evaluate.

The second coin has no right being in a Gem holder IMO. It is too weakly struck to earn that grade. What good is a high relief coin when the high relief doesn't exist because of a horrendous strike? And to top it off, the coin has seen one dip too many. Coin two looks like the "right submitter" was awarded with a "dip it" gift.

The bottom line for me is I would pass on both coins.

Fully struck 1921 Peace Dollars, like coin #1, are not easy to find. Typically struck white coins, like coin #2, are very easy to find. Finding a piece similar to that in an MS-64 holder, which sells for a lot less money than an MS-65, is fairly easy. I've got one I like better setting in my collection. You can check it out in my registered type set.

I know that photos don't show everything, but I don't like coin #2 at all at MS-65 money, which is in the area of $2,000. If coin #1 looks as nice as it appears in person, it would be a great buy for MS-63 money based upon the strike.

I agree with # 1 having a great strike but I just don't think that toning is all that old.

It could have been just as white as the other one less than a year or two ago.

Taco Bell??

Well, I agree. The toning on coin #1 doesn't look quite original from the picture. It may look different in hand. I also don't like the scratch on coin #1. But, I love the strike.

My first impression of coin #2 was MS64 with a typical strike for a 1921. Sure it's weak, but most of them are and I've seen much worse. This one was likely dipped but not overdipped. Still, I don't really care for it.

I would take either for the right price and the right price would be higher for coin #2 simply because I could sell it for more. I wouldn't pay Bruce's estimate for coin #1 but I'm sure someone would. I certainly wouldn't pay an MS65 price for coin #2. If I were looking for another 1921 Peace I would probably pass on both and keep looking.

Here we have 2 1921 Peace Dollars. Which do you like better and why?

Coin 1 I own. Coin 2 came from a Stacks Image.

1921.jpg

This is a coin I own. Nice strike and good color. It was body bagged for an Obverse Scratch by NGC. I think the coin is MS62 maybe MS63. Value $300.00 to $450.00 if you ask me.

192165.jpg

This coin is offered by Stacks. It is in a PCGS MS65 holder. Stacks Coin Maybe it is just an artifact of the photo, but the coin seems to have a very weak strike for an MS65 coin. For the money I would own coin 1 any day of the week over coin 2. Thats just what I think. This is not a slam on PCGS or Stacks. I just found this coin and wanted some opinions. I think the majority think like me.

Unfortunately, there are many coins in MS65 holders, both PCGS and NGC, with strikes just like coin #2. I've even seen some in MS66 holders that aren't much better. It seems as if they "grade on a curve", knowing that 1921 Peace dollars aren't very well struck to begin with. I think that the grading rules should be adhered to regardless, which would mean there would be very few '21s in holders higher than MS64. I don't see a problem with that, personally. Here is the MS65 that I own, and prior to seeing yours thought that it was pretty well struck:

ImageGetter.aspx?Registry=Coin&ImageType=full&CertNum=1635217-001&Face=Obverse