• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1806 Draped Bust Attribution Question

12 posts in this topic

I seem to see faint signs of the reverse die crack at STATES (mostly between TAT). That would lead me to say "a" model. However, I don't see the obverse die crack branching out into several new cracks around stars 3 and 4. That would indicate prime.

I think that I would say 115a, overall.

I would think that this coin is at the later stages of O.115, but has not yet reached O.115a since the bifurcation of the main crack left of the date is lightly present, as might be the beginnings of the lumps under 806 in the date, but the crack above LIBER is not apparent in the image.

Tom, is the die crack above the STATES significant? I see it mentioned in the 115a, but not the 115. The picture of the obverse does not do the branching crack justice.

I see the die crack above STATES, but it does not appear to have yet reached UNITED nor has it ended beneath the eagle's tail feathers (indicating an even later die state). I'm of the opinion that it is a die state between that of O.115 and O.115a, but am willing to accept that others believe it is later than that.

I agree with the comments above. It's between die-states, which is not unusual. Since die-state progression is a gradual and continual process, it would be impossible to document every "possible" die-state for a coin like this. Regarding the coin itself, I have one thing to say: beautiful!

The Overton rarity on this would be what? R1 for 115, or R2 for the 115a? And do you think this has a shot at getting put in plastic from PCGS or NGC? Thanks for your opinions and your help. Bob

Is that a repunched "T" in Liberty? I'd try to remove the orange color around the star on the left obverse. Nice Die Cracks. I'd send it in. I like it and "Good Luck"! smile.gif

It looks like it would slab easily at either PCGS or NGC and the Overton rarity of R1 or R2 would have little consequence, if any, on its value.