• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gray Sheet Prices

5 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me where the bid/ask prices for coins come from? What I am really interested is in a daily bid/ask price at wholesale levels for gold and silver coins. Some site that I can look at to see the current bid/ask prices for gold/silver coins.

You can go to greysheet.com, but they're not free. You can get the non-MS and non-PF prices from NumisMedia or can research prices on Heritage Auction's website.

But it sounds like you want the Greysheet (a/k/a Coin Dealer's Newsletter), which you can only get from them.

Good luck

Scott hi.gif

If you're just interested in bullion prices, you can go to any number of websites www.apmex.com for hourly updates, but I think you are out of luck if you want daily updates for wholesale coin prices. It would be nearly impossible to put it together.

Chris

There are one or more services that dealers subscribe to that allow them to post offers to purchase/sell specific coins or numbers of coins.

I believe that one of them is called Certified Coin Exchange.

I don't know how expensive these services are, though.

Grey Sheet is dealer to dealer wholesale. A typical example would be a dealer who will sell coins to other dealers at a show from his table at CDN Bid +5% and retail to the public at CDN ask +20%. The wholesale biz with other dealers is mainly for cash flow in the event the right deal walks up and can be "bought right."

CDN Bid would be the standard inventory value - consequently anything purchased below bid is instant profit as is market appreciation as this can be booked to inventory reval and recorded as positive P&L.

I asked Jerry, a New Jersey dealer how he would make offers on modern coins to people walking up to his table using this model. He says "I offer them 95% of CDN bid on raw or slabbed 69 mods and full CDN bid on slabbed 70's." I asked him about the people paying prices for slabbed 70 mods many times the 69 or raw price. "The end users" he said chuckling. "Who is gonna buy from them for more?" I asked him how he used the CDN in dealer to dealer transactions "If wholesale, I sell to them at CDN bid +5% and if they (dealers) walk up and offer it I offer CDN bid less 5%. - otherwise they can get lost." I aked him about retail "CDN ask (replacement cost) + 20%." As far as walkup deals he says "my offer could be between 50-90% of CDN bid." I got the impression this depends on whats hot. I told him "50% of bid sounds like a rip." He then told me to get lost.