• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does NGC assign a star when one side is superior?

11 posts in this topic

Say you have a proof coin where one side is Ultra Cameo but the other side is brilliant. In my case I have a Morgan dollar with a neat DMPL obverse and a nice, lustrous but not anywhere near PL reverse. Do coins like that get a Star?

Yes - I have a 1965 SMS half that is ucam on one side and cam on the other (that I purchased from an excellent forum member), which NGC gave a star to for the very reason you're stating. I also have a circulation strike 1964-D nickel that has a cameo PL appearance (bought from the same forum member smile.gif) that was also given a star, I suppose rather than giving it a CAM designation, which would have been odd.

Hoot

Thanks guys.

I don't normally play the crack out game, but I'm very tempted to with this Morgan Dollar I have.

I think the Star is a good idea. It says this coin is nicer than your average coin for the grade.

Thanks guys.

I don't normally play the crack out game, but I'm very tempted to with this Morgan Dollar I have.

I think the Star is a good idea. It says this coin is nicer than your average coin for the grade.

Carl, I believe that you can submit the coin for a star via "designation review" instead of cracking it out, paying a re-grade fee and taking your chances.

<<Carl, I believe that you can submit the coin for a star via "designation review" instead of cracking it out, paying a re-grade fee and taking your chances.>>

Thanks Mark, but this one is in a PCGS holder. I don't think NGC will do a designation review on PCGS coins. smile.gif I wish I could though as I never like to take the risk of a downgrade or bodybag.

<<Carl, I believe that you can submit the coin for a star via "designation review" instead of cracking it out, paying a re-grade fee and taking your chances.>>

Thanks Mark, but this one is in a PCGS holder. I don't think NGC will do a designation review on PCGS coins. smile.gif I wish I could though as I never like to take the risk of a downgrade or bodybag.

Don't be surprised, Carl, if it does not get a star when you first put it through, and then you'll have to re-submit for designation review. I've gone through this routine several times.

Hoot

Although I have never received such a designation via submission, I have seen a lot of coins that are exactly as you describe - one-sided CAMs or UCAMs that received a 'star' in lieu of the designation. I have also seen a similar case for Morgan dollars that are DMPL on one side but not the other. If memory serves correct, I think I've even seen a Morgan with a DMPL reverse with the reverse facing forward in the slab, and a 'star' designation given.

To your point also, I have not seen an NGC slab that states something to the effect of "UCAM obverse", but I have seen ANACS slabs that state "HEAVY FROST OBVERSE" or such some disclaimer.