• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just heard this on ShopatHome.

20 posts in this topic

I needed some mindless entertainment tonight, so I figured what the heck a "Good Comedy" would be OK. I switched on the *spoon* box and there were are 2 Extremely Knowledgeable Coin Ripoff Artists. BUT, they made the statement that I found extremely interesting, and they repeated it over and over, that "NGC will NOT, repeat NOT, produce any more First Strike coins EVER AGAIN. Does anybody have any more info on this??? If this is true, what is your opinion as to what will happen to the value of existing First Strike labeled coined???? It would seem that they would become even more collectible as a limited supply......Comments ?????

The guy just said that the four eagles on the reverse of the gold bullion coins represented the four denominations of gold coins. screwy.gif

I thought it was just a family of eagles.

-Amanda

The guy just said that the four eagles on the reverse of the gold bullion coins represented the four denominations of gold coins. screwy.gif

-Amanda

Papabird, Mamabird, Babybird & Eggbird

Chris

I needed some mindless entertainment tonight, so I figured what the heck a "Good Comedy" would be OK. I switched on the *spoon* box and there were are 2 Extremely Knowledgeable Coin Ripoff Artists. BUT, they made the statement that I found extremely interesting, and they repeated it over and over, that "NGC will NOT, repeat NOT, produce any more First Strike coins EVER AGAIN. Does anybody have any more info on this??? If this is true, what is your opinion as to what will happen to the value of existing First Strike labeled coined???? It would seem that they would become even more collectible as a limited supply......Comments ?????
Someone reported that NGC was discontinuing the First Strikes program a while back across the street. This was heard 3rd hand from a dealer I believe.

It is unknown whether the insert will become more valued or not. NGC has some special inserts they have used in the past such as the US flag/eagle as well as WTC inserts. Those inserts do not seem to bring much of a premium. If people recognize First Strikes for what it is, a marketing program, then presumably the inserts will only have value to insert collectors, which does not seem to bring much premium today. However, if people continue to believe First Strikes means first struck, then who knows.

Those inserts do not seem to bring much of a premium. If people recognize First Strikes for what it is, a marketing program, then presumably the inserts will only have value to insert collectors, which does not seem to bring much premium today. However, if people continue to believe First Strikes means first struck, then who knows.

I think you're wrong on both counts. I don't think it will significantly affect the market one way or anohter. You purists/critics of the FS program are way overanalysing it. I've sold several expensive FS coins (have some on ebay right now) and I've delivered some of them in person, exchanged e-mails with other buyers, and continued to exchange e-mails with some of the buyers as the market went up or down and they felt good or bad about their purchase. Do you know what they were all looking at???

The pop report. whatever you think about the FS designation the pop report is a factual number.

--Jerry

Those inserts do not seem to bring much of a premium. If people recognize First Strikes for what it is, a marketing program, then presumably the inserts will only have value to insert collectors, which does not seem to bring much premium today. However, if people continue to believe First Strikes means first struck, then who knows.

I think you're wrong on both counts. I don't think it will significantly affect the market one way or anohter. You purists/critics of the FS program are way overanalysing it. I've sold several expensive FS coins (have some on ebay right now) and I've delivered some of them in person, exchanged e-mails with other buyers, and continued to exchange e-mails with some of the buyers as the market went up or down and they felt good or bad about their purchase. Do you know what they were all looking at???

The pop report. whatever you think about the FS designation the pop report is a factual number.

--Jerry

You seem very defensive. There's no need for that though I can understand you have a vested interest and concern if you are currently in the process of selling some. I didn't say whether First Strikes would definitively go up or down and I did write "It is unknown whether the insert will become more valued or not." I did say that the value will go down if the FS designation is viewed in the same manner as the NGC eagle and WTC inserts, however I also said that they may not be viewed in the same manner. The NGC eagle and WTC inserts do not seem to bring high premiums. Are you saying that they do?

Your point of the pop report is a good one and it remains to be seen if FS will continue in the pop report at all or if it will be removed. I haven't heard if FS will stay in the pop report or not, have you? If it is removed from the pop report (I'm not sure the eagle and WTC inserts are in the pop report) then it really does become just a fancy insert. If FS stays in the pop report, it remains to be seen whether people will continue to give it a premium once the broader market sees that there is no more FS and they understand what it was/is.

I'm not sure anyone can predict what the future market holds for existing First Strikes. Are you saying you can? There is evidence that fancy inserts do not bring high premiums and there is evidence that people will pay premiums for things simply because they are in the pop reports and registry sets. How these things will affect FS in the future is up for speculation.

--Jerry

You seem very defensive. There's no need for that though I can understand you have a vested interest if you are currently in the process of selling some. I didn't say whether First Strikes would definitively go up or down and I did write "It is unknown whether the insert will become more valued or not." I did say that the value will go down if the FS designation is viewed in the same manner as the NGC eagle and WTC inserts, however I also said that they may not be viewed in the same manner. The NGC eagle and WTC inserts do not seem to bring high premiums. Are you saying that they do?

Your point of the pop report is a good one and it remains to be seen if FS will continue in the pop report at all or if it will be removed. I haven't heard if FS will stay in the pop report or not, have you? If it is removed from the pop report (I'm not sure the eagle and WTC inserts are in the pop report) then it really does become just a fancy insert. If FS stays in the pop report, it remains to be seen whether people will continue to give it a premium once the broader market sees that there is no more FS and they understand what it was.

I'm not sure anyone can predict what the future market holds for First Strikes. Are you saying you can? There is evidence that fancy inserts do not bring high premiums and there is evidence that people will pay premiums for things simply because they are in the pop reports and registry sets. How these things will affect FS in the future is up for speculation.

No, I'm not being defensive. I don't have a significant position in FS coins and don't need to defend them. I think my writing style is sometimes overly dramatic or something but I'm mostly just a curious onlooker to the FS debate and I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. As for the WTC and similar labels I'm no expert but I'd say that they're not broad enough to attract series collector interest like the FS does.

As for taking it out of the pop report, I don't think they can. it would orphan a bunch of coins in collectors hands. Or are you proposing the first ever TPG recall for relabeling??? That would be a hoot.

No, I'm not being defensive. I don't have a significant position in FS coins and don't need to defend them. I think my writing style is sometimes overly dramatic or something but I'm mostly just a curious onlooker to the FS debate and I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
Good to know. This medium isn't always the best for communicating one's demeanor.
As for taking it out of the pop report, I don't think they can. it would orphan a bunch of coins in collectors hands. Or are you proposing the first ever TPG recall for relabeling??? That would be a hoot.
They can simply include the FS numbers with the non-FS numbers since there's no actual difference in the coins themselves. There's no need for relabeling to reorganize the pop report. Are you saying that the two changes are hard linked? I believe there are a number of insert variations that are not broken out in the pop reports but I really don't know. Are you saying every insert variation is broken out separately in the pop and has to remain so? I guess it can be the case but it seems like it would be a unnecessary dependency.

IMO, whether or not FS remains separate in the pop would be a good question to ask NGC directly since it may have a big impact on the future value of existing FS inserts. It's something I would want a direct answer from NGC before paying a large premium for a FS coin today.

That being said, I have noticed that PCGS FS MS69 and PR69DCAM ASEs seem to sell for less than the US Mint individual issue price + grading fee. To me, that indicates it's really the 70 that is generating a lot of the value, and not the FS designation, at least for PCGS ASEs. I haven't looked into NGC ASE FS realized prices yet.

They can simply include the FS numbers with the non-FS numbers, there's no need for relabeling to reorganize the pop report. Are you saying that the two changes are linked? I believe there are a number of insert variations that are not broken out in the pop reports. Are you saying every insert variation is broken out separately in the pop?

I kindo thought it was. Seems just recently I saw seperate line items...

So you're saying they would just add up the total for say 2006-W PF70 DCAM AGEs and ignore the first strike and list them under the number for the non FS. So if you type in the number from a FS holder you'll be redirected. They'll need a footnote to tell you there isn't some computer glitch.

FWIW, I just went to the PCGS pop report to look at this (Don't have access to the NGC one) and it looks like all the FS listings are removed....if you type in the number for the FS AGE $50 you get a number set without the word FS mentioned and a sentence that it is a subset of a number referring you to what I think is the non-fs coins. Hmmmm.

FWIW, I just went to the PCGS pop report to look at this (Don't have access to the NGC one) and it looks like all the FS listings are removed....if you type in the number for the FS AGE $50 you get a number set without the word FS mentioned and a sentence that it is a subset of a number referring you to what I think is the non-fs coins. Hmmmm.
That is pretty interesting. I wonder if it's a temporary glitch or a permanent change.

BUT, they made the statement that I found extremely interesting, and they repeated it over and over, that "NGC will NOT, repeat NOT, produce any more First Strike coins EVER AGAIN. Does anybody have any more info on this???

It would not surprise me at all if they discontinued it. In fact I believe the very first ones were labeled First Strike, then after PCGS trademarked the term NGC went to First Strikes. Then NGC decided not to do the First Strikes on the 20th Anniversary sets. Then they were sued over the use of the term. It would not surprise me at all if they just decided the headaches weren't worth it and they just drop the whole nonsense. (It might even make the lawsuit go away.)

I hope NGC does not label anymore coins "First Strikes". I think "First Strike" was just a ploy by the major grading services to make more money at the collectors expense.

-Amanda

I've heard that same thing from other places. It's possible that it's true. Possible that it's hogwash too.

-Amanda

I've heard that same thing from other places. It's possible that it's true. Possible that it's hogwash too.

There you go, trying to keep this thing on topic.

-Amanda

There you go, trying to keep this thing on topic.

Awful witty for a newb aren't ya. 27_laughing.gif

I would think that it would make the original “first strike” coins more valuable, even though we now know that it should really read “first shipped”…It’ll become another marketing tool Ebay vendors.

Dcoin