• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wishing Wells??? A Coin Collector's Dream???

12 posts in this topic

Wishing Wells??? A Coin Collector's Dream??? What are your thoughts about wishing wells? If you came across an old well that was in the middle of no where and possibly could contain $$$$ of coins at the bottom what would you do??? confused.gif

I'd throw you in to see what you could find. Then, I'd pass down a bucket attached to a hand-held cord so that you could fill it with your discoveries. Once you had found all there was to be had, then I would throw a rope to you that was securely tied above. I figure that by the time you climb out, I would be long gone.

Chris

I'd throw you in to see what you could find. Then, I'd pass down a bucket attached to a hand-held cord so that you could fill it with your discoveries. Once you had found all there was to be had, then I would throw a rope to you that was securely tied above. I figure that by the time you climb out, I would be long gone.

Chris

sign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif good one! thanks Chris

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I notice that you and I are thinking more and more alike these days, Chris. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

It's strange what one night in the Maryland woods will do.

Chris

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I notice that you and I are thinking more and more alike these days, Chris. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

It's strange what one night in the Maryland woods will do.

Chris

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Along the same lines, when I was in college, late '70's early '80's, one of my classmates was into collecting glass bottles. The best spots for him to find them were places where there used to be outhouses, because during Prohibition drinkers would stand near outhouses so if a cop or some other authority figure showed up the bottles would get tossed in the hole. After 50 to 60 years the excrement had turned into dirt so it was fine (at least to him) to go digging around in.

For every coin you remove from those wells, one of YOUR wishes will never be granted. sorry.gif

Now, who wants them? makepoint.gif

MM 893naughty-thumb.gif

"WELL" then, I'll throw a coin in the well before I throw copperman in, and I'll wish that he finds a bunch of coins in the bottom.

Chris

Wishing Wells??? A Coin Collector's Dream??? What are your thoughts about wishing wells? If you came across an old well that was in the middle of no where and possibly could contain $$$$ of coins at the bottom what would you do??? confused.gif

If it was a fountain, I'd jump in and have a look around. A well, probably not, considering it would likely still have water in it making exploration dangerous and/or impossible. Most fountains in public areas already have someone who is responsible for pulling out the money every so often, so realistically, the spread of coins would be approximately what's in circulation. Now, finding an old wishing well from the 50s or before would be neat, but there probably weren't that many folks chucking in dimes and quarters back in the day. I bet you'd find lots of wheats, but they'd be all gunked up. I'd much rather find an old, uncollected salvation army kettle from the 50s. I'd just pony up modern equivalents of all coins in the kettle and keep the silver.