• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm having fun with this stereomicroscope..........

19 posts in this topic

But it is still going to take me a little while to figure out all of the options on the software.

Microscope image

1524981-ArabaDime.jpg

Camera image

1524981-IMG_1261.JPG

Chris

1524981-IMG_1261.JPG.5eb1e7218a6bb2fb70b941b8b43e56b9.JPG

Is that the QX5 you bought a little while back?

No, this is the P21511 Stereo Zoom from Pacific Science Supplies. It comes with a gooseneck camera that fits on the eyepiece. The microscope zooms from 10x-40x and the image above is at 10x.

Chris

Ok Chris. We gave you 3 days now. Show us what you got. grin.gif

Try these.......................................................

1530495-1966SMS50cB.jpg

1530495-1966SMS50cEYE.jpg

1530495-1966SMS50cG.jpg

1530495-1966SMS50cIN.jpg

1530495-1966SMS50cPROFILE.jpg

The hard part is adjusting the view for the computer. The camera view is different than looking directly at it with your eyes. Moving the object up/down results in left/right movement on the computer and vice versa.

Chris

1530495-1966SMS50cPROFILE.jpg.53879f12bda1bf5e7cc40fa72fb2d4b3.jpg

Sorry Chris. Been out all day.

Nice images. I have been wanting to add a digital deal to my scope but never have seen many pics from one. Are you using just the lighting from the scope? Is there room to add more light from the sides? I need one of these.

Sorry Chris. Been out all day.

Nice images. I have been wanting to add a digital deal to my scope but never have seen many pics from one. Are you using just the lighting from the scope? Is there room to add more light from the sides? I need one of these.

Larry, this is what it looks like.................. 1532033-IMG_1250.JPG

As you can see, you could probably use gooseneck lamps to fill in from the sides. That strip of green cloth you see is just a scrap of pool table cloth that I use for raw coins rather than laying them on the glass plate which can be backlit from underneath. The only lighting I am using is the "incident lamp" which is just below and behind the "objective housing".

Chris

1532033-IMG_1250.JPG.7b66eaefce1472c06409e2990db53851.JPG

What's the story with the Islamic counterstamps on those coins?

I believe that is the symbol used by the Shriners. An acquaintance of mine is a retired die maker from the Philadelphia Mint. He made the die to produce these and he gave me about 3 dozen of the dimes and cents. I gave some of them away to friends at FUN last year.

Chris

Interesting. I wonder what in the history of the Shriners relates to Islam. Those two symbols ( especially when used together)...the crescent moon and the simitar...are extremely symbolic of Islam. Anyone know the history behind the Shriners?

Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine

I had absolutely no idea and find that simply amazing. Thanks for doin' the legwork.

No problem! laugh.gif

I messed up the link the first time, though. blush.gif

-Amanda

That Stereomicroscope does look fun! grin.gif

The Shriners, or Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine

-Amanda

Thanks, Amanda, for the legwork.

I know that this is sign-offtopic.gifbut I think I am allowed to hijack my own thread. Since you have an interest in the Civil War, I thought I would show you this photo I took at Arlington National Cemetery..........

1532121-IMG_1144.JPG

Chris

1532121-IMG_1144.JPG.c0c854ca29e09a16c8e79ddcee4289bf.JPG

nicey nice... how much do those go for, cuz i'm shopping fer something like that :-D

With the USB FlexCam, it was $825 with free shipping. The scope comes with 10x-40x Zoom magnification and PacSci also offers optional eyepieces in 5x (to increase the field of view) and 20x (to increase detail). The photo I posted of the dime with the Shriner's symbol on it was taken at 10x magnification. The FlexCam comes with software that enables not only photo capture, but video capture and videoconferencing as well.

You can check it out here http://pacscionline.com/specialoffers.html

Chris