• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1854-D Three Dollar Gold - it doesn't get much better than this.

39 posts in this topic

Excellent story and coin.

You may want to get a good metal detector for when you are roaming around your new homestead. I am continually amazed at some of the chunks that get brought in from the mountains here in Idaho. (Not to mention some of the monsters from Alaska!)

Yes, believe it or not, there is still quite a bit of GOLD FEVER out here in the wild west!

thx, GAB

BTW - Welcome to Sleepy Hollow! thumbsup2.gif

Great post, Fatman. I lived in Atlanta for (6) years back in the 1960's and 1970's. We visited Dahlonega and saw the marker. I almost bought some land near Duckville (wish I had now).

Thank you SageRad for the information on the origins of this interesting $3.00 southern gold coin. I will look into it further. Also thanks again FatMan for the engaging post!

AAJ

Just a quick update on the series.There are three 54-D $3s in AU 50 available in the upcoming Heritage FUN auction. Since about three per year in any problem free grade come up for auction I would say this is very unusual. Due to how slim the market is for these coins, It might present a good opportunity to pick one up at a bargain.

As I have been absent from posting here for a couple of years thought I would bump one of my posts kind of as an introduction for those that do not know me.

I look forward to contributing here.

Great story! I just purchased my first "southern gold" piece, a 1838-C QE:

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5397.JPG

I have always wanted both Charlotte and Dahlonega gold. I just find the history fascinating. I'm planning a visit to the area sometime later this year, and I hope to find my first "D" mint mark sometime before that.

Here is an image of Price Memorial Hall on the campus of North Georgia College and State University in Dahlonega. The mint burned in 1878 and this building was built in its place on the same stone foundation.

Price%20Memorial%20Hall.jpg