• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Salvation Army gets "$14,000" coin in a kettle

11 posts in this topic

Link to Article

Someone dropped a 1908 gold piece into a kettle and it's been going around the news. Since some here aren't visiting the PCGS boards, I thought I'd start a thread.

My favorite quote from the article:

"I've heard of this happening in other places, but I've never actually seen it," he said, explaining that while it isn't unusual to come across a World War II-era silver penny or two during the Christmas season, gold coins are a rarity.

I wish someone would give me a "silver penny" this Christmas. Probably looks a lot better than those plain old steel cents.

If it gets graded and encapsulated by a TPG, it would be nice if it got a special designation.

As I was reading this, I was thinking that it would be great that a TPG would give it a special pedigree that would help them generate more money from a sale!

Scott hi.gif

They could just send it to Accugrade or one of those other fly by night TPG's then they could try to sell it on Ebay for 14K... 893whatthe.gif

I don't agree that a TPG should give the coin a pedigree, it seems like an awfully bad idea.

I agree, giving the coin a pedigree is going down the "First Strike" marketing path. 893naughty-thumb.gif

The giving of gold coins to the Salvation Army has been a tradition in the St. Louis metro area for the past several years. Someone makes a nice, anonymous donation that benefits a worthy cause. Whether it is worth $200 or 14K it is the generosity and added publicity that counts. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Pedigrees have been given for collections that are obscure even to coin collectors. In this case, it's something that even the average person has heard about.

Sure, it would be marketing related but, as long as the pedigree isn't misleading, it will avoid the controversies of the First Strike(s) programs.

BTW, kudos to NGC for discontinuing First Strikes. Thanks for doing the right thing.