• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My four silver Britannias - (large images)

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've posted these separately in the recent acquisitions thread and elsewhere (except for the 2001) as I photographed them, but I thought it might be neat to see them all together as a group here.

This is the beginning of what I hope will evolve into a complete uncirculated Britannia set. I got all these great coins from gmarguli and had a wonderful buying experience.

One thing I can't get over with these coins is how different they are in strike from the silver eagles. The uncirculated Britannias almost appear to be brilliant proofs and reverse proofs (depending on year), at least to my eyes. The even-year design changes also give this series something that I think the beautiful, but somewhat monotonous ASE series lacks.

This is the last time I force my photos of these coins on everyone, I promise!

( At least until I buy more devil.gif )

1999 NGC MS-69:

1517088-1999.jpg

2001 NGC MS-69:

1521024-2001.jpg

2004 NGC MS-69:

1517619-2004.jpg

2005 NGC MS-69:

1516795-2005.jpg

1521024-2001.jpg.45fe73d23c2b4cfd93b65baa4b5f23ab.jpg

This is the last time I force my photos of these coins on everyone, I promise!
Aren't these in your signature for every post wink.gif jk. Thanks for sharing. Great pics! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The photography makes them look a bit like Proofs.

Actually, the way the Britiannias are minted, they have proof-like finishes. Most of them have reverse proof-like finishes. Only two of them (2001 and 2003) were minted with all shiny surfaces. If you missed the thread on the Britannias, see my Britannia page for more info. The images on that page are not of my coins. But since I have a complete set, I will try to take my own images and use them on that page.

Scott hi.gif

Hi Scott hi.gif

Nice Britannia page that you have there. thumbsup2.gif

How is Boomer doing ?

We are thinking of getting a Kitten but it won't be until after the new year festivities are over as we will be out a lot over the festive season. We were very eager at one point and so we have the Kitty food already. crazy.gif

grin.gif

Anyone know why Britannias aren't available in the registry?
How many Britannias are in the pop (and from how many submitors)? NGC grades a lot of coins that aren't in the registry. My impression is that there needs to be a reasonable number of people submitting those coins for them to see enough interest to create a registry set. I think an earlier post said that the pops are low and that most of what was there was submitted by a single person. China panda coins do have a registry set so it may be instructive to compare the two. For a non-scientific comparison, I get 38 eBay search results for "panda ngc" but only 1 eBay result for "britannia ngc".

Hi Scott hi.gif

hi.gif Zar!

Thanks! I love the coins. I really think the Royal Mint does a great job with these coins. Since you're from Ireland, I am not sure how you feel about the British (yes, I am familiar with the politics). But I hope we can agree that they are nice coins!

How is Boomer doing ?

Boomer is fine. He spent the other night in the doggie hospital because a parasite was giving him dysentery, but he's doing well.

We are thinking of getting a Kitten but it won't be until after the new year festivities are over as we will be out a lot over the festive season. We were very eager at one point and so we have the Kitty food already. crazy.gif

Aside from being a dog person, I'm allergic to cats. I really swell up with cats. It's not fun!!

Scott hi.gif

(Boomer's new dad!)

I am allergic to cats as well. We took in a young kitten earlier in the year, and I haven't had any problems with her at all, allergy-wise or otherwise. I'm still allergic to other cats. My vet told me that often people who get a young cat can acclimate to that cat's particular dander and they tolerate them with little or no problem while still remaining allergic to cats in general. Akeelah the cat is awesome! She's the best little companion I can imagine ever having next to my wife. Akeelah's purring in my lap as I speak. smile.gif

Akeelah at 2 months....................................................................Akeelah at 7 months

1523466-akeelah.jpg

1523466-akeelah.jpg.57700635e8e429dc19f83d5bd00377cc.jpg

The great think about collecting dark side coins is it transcends politics and anything and everything else. They are a realy nice set to collect, and cool pics

cool.gif

Thanks! I love the coins. I really think the Royal Mint does a great job with these coins. Since you're from Ireland, I am not sure how you feel about the British (yes, I am familiar with the politics). But I hope we can agree that they are nice coins!