• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions Please are these Fingerprints or Textile lines??

16 posts in this topic

Thank's Skyman thats what it looks like to me but I wanted to be sure as this is My first coin that has them and also the first coin that I have actually seen with them.

Saen. You need to copy the very bottom URL in Image Shack and paste it in your post if you want the images larger. There is also a resizing tool you can use.

Looks like multiple finger prints to me

Saen. You need to copy the very bottom URL in Image Shack and paste it in your post if you want the images larger. There is also a resizing tool you can use.

Looks like multiple finger prints to me

Thank you for the tip stan. And Thank you to all who replied

Are you guys just trying to be funny? They look to be textile lines. The rainbow toning should be the giveaway. It probably shifted in the bag. Also, they are too straight to be fingerprints. It would have to be one HUMONGOUS finger to leave lines that straight across a fairly wide area.

Chris

Are you guys just trying to be funny? They look to be textile lines. The rainbow toning should be the giveaway. It probably shifted in the bag. Also, they are too straight to be fingerprints. It would have to be one HUMONGOUS finger to leave lines that straight across a fairly wide area.

Chris

No we aren't being funny....it's not textile toning. The coin is bag toned but at some point the coin was placed in the palm of someones hand, which led to the large even lines across the coin....not the typical dot matrix pattern found within the normal textile toning.

Here is an example of a bag toned morgan that features both a neon crescent as well as the normal dot textile pattern on the cheek. The image doesn't show it as clearly but brown textile pattern appears in the form of dots in a line which we see on the example below.....not a bunch of evenly spaced lines.

83OObv.jpg

The sheer size of this pattern on the original coin posted is a dead giveaway that it's a palm print and not multiple finger prints....which would have swirling lines going every direction. Grab a glass in your hand and then example the print your palm leaves on it and I think you will see the nice even spaced pattern exhaibited on the original coin posted. thumbsup2.gif

Shane, not all bags have that coarse a weave as displayed on your coin. It's my understanding that, in those days, it was very common for the government to change suppliers frequently. Not all of them necessarily used the same grade of material. I have many bags both from the governmment and from banks that have a fine weave that could produce toning like this.

Chris

Trust me on this one.........it's not textile toning......and although I would not go so far as to consider myself an expert on all things toned.......I know a palm print when I see one. Did you try th drinking glass thing I mentioned? If those were textile lines than they would be toned one of the colors in the spectrum.......not silver grey? On the example I posted you could see where the coin had been moved after developing the deep neon creacent on the right side. Once the cheek was up against the bag.....it started to develope the golden textile spots.......so why would the coin above have silver/grey lines of toning vs. Some type of golden orange toning lines?

Look at the 3rd and fourth pictures with the coin imaged straight on........their is no color to those lines...it's grey/silver just like a print would be.