• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Coin Photography Setup - (Dialuppers: Large Photos)

10 posts in this topic

I thought that since my desk was much cleaner than usual, I'd do a quick photo of my setup.

I use a small, but heavy, metal tripod which has had it's lower leg segments removed. It is positioned on my desk right next to my monitor for easy use. I've attached my Nikon D70 with a 18-70mm Nikkor zoom lens to the tripod. The camera's usb cable is attached to the camera body, and is thentaped to the edge of the desk (outside photo area). A seperate USB extension cable runs from there to the computer, allowing my to plug in the camera and unplug it from the computer without touching the camera. This is useful, since when the usb is hooked into my computer, I can't take photos (I'm too cheap to pay $50+ for Nikon's software).

My lighting cost me around $20 - I use 60 watt Phillips Natural incandescent bulbs in two 5" clampable shop hoods. I use a couple of random containers full of rolled junk cents as bases for the clamped lamps, allowing me to easily position them. Since I manually control my exposures, I simply taped down a few white sheets of paper onto the desk surface and place the coins on those for photography. I keep the sheets dust free with canned air and simply replace if they get dirty. The sheets also double as a quick and dirty white balance callibrator if I switch bulbs.

My photography has improved quite a bit since I started, but I still have a ways to go. Still, this setup has given me some nice photos over the last few months. I'm enjoying learning more as I go. Probably the next purchase I need to make this a better setup would either be a better macro lens (my zoom lens doesn't quite give me the crispness I desire) or a copystand proper, which would give me more room to move my lamps around.

1513929-cam_setup.jpg

-Michael

Below are some example photos that I've taken with my rig:

1513929-cam_setup.jpg.2071a2f0a65c2fb300e9c0c235c18f50.jpg

Here is my set up and costs quite a bit to maintain but the results speak for themselves smile.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1513959-hand.jpg

1513959-hand.jpg.23e0dac2f6b9c0c372f09d402d71b0ff.jpg

Example 2:

Hey Mike ,,Is this a VAM 1?

You know, I honestly haven't researched VAMs yet. I have been focusing my collecting in other directions, but I'd be interested to know. Think you could tell from a larger photo?

1513973-1902-O.jpg

1513973-1902-O.jpg.60bcb4161ddfc7ea824fc3f469993f0d.jpg