• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I melted my keyboard today...

13 posts in this topic

A good reminder to everyone who does desktop coin photography. Those lights can get pre-ty hot. I was looking at a coin near my keyboard today and had one of the lamps aiming down toward the keyboard. About 2 minutes later, I went to type and discovered that 5 or 6 of my keys were melted. Very nice. foreheadslap.gif

My computer came with some extra consonants. I can send them to you and you can refill the melted consonant keys - that will straighten them back out. Sorry, didn’t get extra vowels.

I thought this was going to be a "I spilled coffee on it" story. I didn't know a lamp could actually melt a keyboard. By the way, for much cooler, more power efficient bulbs get the halogen bulbs, they look like spirals. I have had the same bulb in my lamp (which is on for several hours a day) for 4 years, and even after several hours I can touch the lamp and it is only slightly warm.

This was a 60W Phillips natural lamp in a metal reflector that I use for coin photography. I'm pretty good at destroying keyboards. I've crushed one, spilled Cheerwine on another, and now I've melted one. I just bought a new one, so hopefully this one will last a few months.

Can U say wireless ...

Keep it off the work bench ...

Jest jesting of course as I am the ....

Perhaps people dont know what it stands for and has been my nick forever.....

jgrinz = Jokers Grin hi.gif

It was an off the cuff handle / Nick etc etc ... when I was 16 and now

30 years later I had to shorten it as it was too much typing ... smile.gif

ooooooo ahhhhhhh I can hear the awe of the story and history ........

screwy.gif

This was a 60W Phillips natural lamp in a metal reflector that I use for coin photography. I'm pretty good at destroying keyboards. I've crushed one, spilled Cheerwine on another, and now I've melted one. I just bought a new one, so hopefully this one will last a few months.

Michael, if you should get a wireless keyboard and mouse on the next go-round, be sure not to sit on it.

Chris

I spilled apple juice on my keyboard 4 years ago. I was lucky, that after drying upside down under a fan for a few hours, only one key stopped working. Hence I still use it ... though I did buy a waterproof keyboard as a consequence that I use occasionally.