• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am proposing a new numismatic term...

21 posts in this topic

Sorry Mike, but you're too late. With TomB having used the terms "mossy" and "phlegmmy" with respect to coin toning, he's well ahead of you in terms of the use of organic substances in numismatics. laugh.gif

Hoot

Well gee, I was kinda hoping you'd help me out with defining it. I just propose the term ... without a definition.

Maybe it's because NT can be 'artificially' induced with a whitman folder or a kraft envelope for years, or a taco bell napkin in months or less, or...

you know what I mean.

So what is really AT and what is NT? And I think most of us from reading and writing around here and buying and then figuring things out have our own ideas about where the cutoff lines are for our own personal definition of NT...because we know that the objective is skewed by TPG's determining what they believe market acceptable is.

So I can only give you what "organic" means to me, and that's basically unfooled with NT and if that borderline NT question, NT=toning occuring over a long period of time with a 'look' that doesn't spell disaster or a baker's oven...I guess.... You know, like the difference between organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry!

There are different grades of 'organic', in my mind. My 1836 Bustie is bordering on the chi chi frou frou (I got this term from a harpsichord builder in NY/CT about 30 years ago) but is one of those gorgeous, probably NT, organically occured AU64's that shouldn't be taken out of its holder. I'd put that as almost borderline organic. VS my 1824 which is more organic (in appearance) but still bejeweled in a holder it should remain in for fear of damaging it's frailty, and my most organic, I would say is my 1814/3. It's a VF25 with very healthy natural wear, very nice surfaces and a simple complexion that makes me kind of love it. That is my most organic.

examples:

(like Freud, opinions subject to change)

least organic:

1511755-183650CS.jpg

but still worshipable hail.gif

more organic:

1511774-1824pairedcropped.JPG

very worshipable hail.gifhail.gif

most organic:

1511786-1814_3paired.JPG

now this is VERY organic, still clean, not dirty and deserves

very very worshipable hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Hey...I try...OK?

Sorry Mike, but you're too late. With ToB having used the terms "mossy" and "phlegmmy" with respect to coin toning, he's well ahead of you in terms of the use of organic substances in numismatics. laugh.gif

Hoot

mossy I've seen him use. Haven't seen phlegmmy yet. Kind of sounds disgusting...doesn't it.

Maybe my epiphanies are a direct result of TomB's influence. He has an incredible teaching collection of un-messed with REAL and ORGANIC coins...'mossy or otherwise'...

so you see what I'm saying, using critiquing my own coins, gauging the differences by degree of most chi chi and frou frou, that 'cotton candy' look (I think IrishMike used that term first) to something that is entirely not chi chi etc...but a truly and totally organically pleasant to look at work of art of a result of almost 200 years of survival. Finding all these three coins was sheer luck. Hunting didn't bring them to me, my readiness prepared me for when they came!!!

so you see what I'm saying

crazy.gif

So I can only give you what "organic" means to me, and that's basically unfooled with NT and if that borderline NT question, NT=toning occuring over a long period of time with a 'look' that doesn't spell disaster or a baker's oven...I guess.... You know, like the difference between organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry!

Mike, if this is the difference, metaphorical or literal, between organic and inorganic chemistry, then I'm definitely in the wrong corner of the universe (and you flunked chemistry). 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Fixed my misspelling of TomB, above. Although Tom should just go by Tomb. And he definitely "coined" the term "phlegmmy" for numismatics. tongue.gif

Hoot

so you see what I'm saying

crazy.gif

Mike, if this is the difference, metaphorical or literal, between organic and inorganic chemistry, then I'm definitely in the wrong corner of the universe (and you flunked chemistry). 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Fixed my misspelling of TomB, above. Although Tom should just go by Tomb. And he definitely "coined" the term "phlegmmy" for numismatics. tongue.gif

Hoot

Hey Hey Hey, I didn't flunk chemistry. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifI got an A in Organic, and A in Inorganic and a....I won't tell you what I got in P. Chem, but I passed. frustrated.gif

In organic chemistyr you stand for hours with goggles and steam funnels going like locomotives and a dozen reactions that take forever to occur, each one on the next, and the molecules are BIGGER. but with the inorganic stuff, the reactions are more instantaneous, less sloppy, no goggles, no acid burns on the hands, no pasing out from exhaustion. P. Chem, I won't even go into, but Integral Calculus is the king there screwy.gif.

You see what I mean???

In organic chemistyr you stand for hours with goggles and steam funnels going like locomotives and a dozen reactions that take forever to occur, each one on the next, and the molecules are BIGGER. but with the inorganic stuff, the reactions are more instantaneous, less sloppy, no goggles, no acid burns on the hands, no pasing out from exhaustion. P. Chem, I won't even go into, but Integral Calculus is the king there screwy.gif.

You see what I mean???

I see that you experienced the throes of organic and inorganic chemistry labs, and fortunately, I never took P-chem, rather I went on to biochem. grin.gif (That was pure fun!)

Still, I just don't get the analogy. sorry.giffrown.gif Don't hurt me!

Hoot

Hunting didn't bring them to me, my readiness prepared me for when they came!!!

Mike,

I love this statement! It is something that I have felt strongly about for a long time, and try to impart upon any that are willing to listen. I can not stress enough the importance of being able to recognize those truly special coins when they come along. thumbsup2.gif

John

mossy I've seen him use. Haven't seen phlegmmy yet. Kind of sounds disgusting...doesn't it.

Ahhh, Mike... 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif The first use of phlegmy as far as I can tell, was quickly followed by a thread dedicated to the term and even a WYNTK thread used the term. All I can assume is that you have other interests in your life, aside from the minutia of the board, and we simply cannot tolerate that behavior. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Tom, I dutifully read through those posts, and thank you for pointing me in a more enlightened direction.

By the way, that 1872 half dime was perfect. I almost bought a seated liberty half with that exact same kind of toning (talc-like, NOT phlegmy), but didn't, and should have. Truly a very nice half dime.

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif