• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first PCI purchase, am I commiting a sin? Will I be severely dissapointed????

18 posts in this topic

I've been looking for a curled base 1827 FOR TOO LONG. I couldn't stand it any longer. So I found this on fleabay and I bought it.

Of course, I'm wondering if the coin has been cleaned or are there a zillion hairlines I can't see from the photo or just...whY? is it in a PCI holder ????????????

But if it passes the test, I'll want to crack it out and have it holdered by ... dare I say ... R E A L TPG?????

1827 on ebay

This coin likes good from the pictures. I was speaking to a dealer recently who had submitted a number of coins to PCI because they are quick and cheaper than the others. What I saw in his inventory of PCI coins, mostly Morgans, did not look bad, I think some were over-graded by a point or two. I would not say that about this coin. My only question would be on the amount of luster that it has. Can you tell us more about it when it arrives?

This coin likes good from the pictures. I was speaking to a dealer recently who had submitted a number of coins to PCI because they are quick and cheaper than the others. What I saw in his inventory of PCI coins, mostly Morgans, did not look bad, I think some were over-graded by a point or two. I would not say that about this coin. My only question would be on the amount of luster that it has. Can you tell us more about it when it arrives?

I think I would be most worried about hairlines. From a wear standpoint, it looks OK. The photo really tells nothing, although there appears to be a bit of luster hidden in the devices.

Could be a good buy if the problems are minimal. Can't wait for the follow up in-hand report!

It looks like an AU coin, but I'm a little worried about surface originality. There seems to be a little discoloration or crud in some areas of the reverse details, especially UNITED and the eagle's right wing, which isn't found in the more accessible areas. Then again, I'm paranoid by nature.

I've been looking for a curled base 1827 FOR TOO LONG. I couldn't stand it any longer. So I found this on fleabay and I bought it.

Of course, I'm wondering if the coin has been cleaned or are there a zillion hairlines I can't see from the photo or just...whY? is it in a PCI holder ????????????

But if it passes the test, I'll want to crack it out and have it holdered by ... dare I say ... R E A L TPG?????

1827 on ebay

It has no-question AU details - which leads me to suspect there's something wrong with the coin, perhaps a cleaning or some other surface alteration. The image appears to have been taken at low resolution and small in size for some particular reason that you'll discover once you receive the coin.

I hope I'm wrong.

Ernie and I have discussed at depth a couple of his oferings ... Past and present. Pretty stright forward guy not one to portray a coin something it isn't. Howver he will put BB'd items for sale and sell ... with a I feel excellent return policy so its the buyers oportunity to examine the coin "sight seen" hehehe and return if not happy . As far as PCI is concerned they will overgrade and slab cleaned coins and not say anything on the holder. Damaged coins or something they see as detracting to eye appeal will get the red boarder. Hope this helps

Good luck

Well, as an update; I recieved the coin today, and I can assure you that it would not be graded by either PCGS or NGC. The surfaces are highly polished and slightly retoned. ANACS would possibly grade this coin and not consider it cleaned or altered surface (which it is without question), because coins like this have been slipping by ANACS, at least since the time they started using those new blue holders. So, unfortunately, I will have to return it to the seller, who has a return policy.

Interesting story. My only Bust Half Dollar in a PCI holder, is the rarer Overton 147 curled 2 marriage, and it is a green labeled holder.

I don't any longer even look at coins in PCI holders. sleeping.gif

Thanks for the empathy. I look at it as good and bad. Bad, that I didn't get the coin I've been hoping for (an organic, real, curled base 2 '27), good that I tried and took the chance, knowing I was taking a chance, good in that I was able to see and understand it as an altered surface and good in that there was an honorable return policy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from this seller again, but I don't think it would be anything in a pci holder lest I could see it before going through the whole song and dance. I guess it will be all the more rewarding when I finally find one. ...

..if I'm still collecting that is...

....I'm so upset I could cry ...

....only kidding grin.gif

I have bought several coins in old green PCI holders and have been satisfied with almost every one. I have received upgrades from both NGC and ANACS on some of these and most have crossed at the same grade. I have only had one DNC.

I have only bought one coin in the gold labeled holder. This was a seated half dime graded MS64. I paid around an MS62 price (on ebay) and thought it was probably an MS62 coin when I received it. I sent it to ANACS and they called it an MS61.

I hear a lot of people talking the new ANACS down but I don't see it. From what I understand they have gotten looser on moderns (they were tougher than PCGS before) but I think they have tightened up on classics, especially regarding cleaning. I have sent about 50 coins to them this year in three shipments. Of those, 33 were reholders. Three of the reholders were classified as cleaned. My last shipment is in the mail now on the way back to me so I'm not sure about the two coins that were sent in for grading with that shipment, but three of my other coins that I sent in for grading were marked as cleaned. Two of those three coins were formerly in NGC holders.

I think ANACS is doing a fine job with or without JT. Sure I've had a couple of disappointments in my grades but I have received no gift grades and most have been right on, in my opinion. In both cases that I have had downgrades on reholder I have been satisfied with the compensation that I was given. In fact, I think that ANACS has sent me more money back in grade guarantees than I have sent them in fees. I don't know how well they will do in the future with all the bad publicity from the KoolAid group but I suspect the general collecting public isn't all that aware of most of the perceived issues that the forums are using to declair the doom of ANACS.

Sorry for the rant about ANACS but I hear so many people saying how bad they have been since the new holders but I can't recall anyone listing any specifics. I have seen just the oposite in my experience. I will admit that I have seen some coins on ebay and Heritage in the new holders that do look cleaned or at least dipped white, but I don't think that is any different than what I see in NGC and PCGS holders.

As far as PCI, I don't plan on buying any more of their gold label slabs on ebay unless it is at a significant grade level discount and there is an easy return policy.

I think ANACS is doing a fine job with or without JT.

According the Numismatic News, Taylor was commuting between his home in Colorado and Austin while running ANACS. The article said that he left because he thought ANACS was in position to succeed without him while he was going to do what is in the best interest of his family.

I will take him at his word. I do think that the coins I have recently been graded by ANACS have been done fairly and I love their new holders. For now, I cannot complain.

Scott hi.gif