• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Many People Collect Franklins?

34 posts in this topic

I've just started to look at them more closely. I have never really appreciated the coin. I'm still not very excited about the obverse. But, I love the reverse. Especially Ben's little pet!!! Alot of people don't even realize there is an Eagle even on the reverse!!!

Jerry

I have a complete Dansco MS63 set which I gave $425 for a couple of 2 or 3 years ago. I really like and plan on keeping it for a long, long time.

I like them. I think they've gotten a bad rap. Part of this I think was the whole Franklin over-hype by some over-zealous dealers/collectors. And this whole FBL thing and the whole 'blast white' thing, brought it into another realm of which I am not very familiar. I'd love to see a gorgeously toned set of Franklins.

They are a challenge to find in MS65 or above (or with few marks on Ben's face). I sold my MS65/66, mostly FBL set but still have the (3)-1949FBL issues. Many people don't like Franklins, but I feel that mark free ones with nice toning or luster are nice. Mine are toned, particulary the '49-S, MS66FBL.

49-S66FBL.jpg49-S66FBLrev.jpg

I do have a complete MS-63 – MS- 65 set that I put together at least ten years ago, and I will buy any really nicely toned example I see if the price is right, but collect them, no not really.

John

I am in the process of putting together a set from the many rolls I currently have. I am finding myself torn between the molted toned franklins and the blast white. I think in the end it will be the molted toned that wins out.

You mean MELTING coinage ... smile.gif

If it aint white it's 'moulting' hahahahah

sign-funnypost.gif

ps- Not a big fan of toned coinage as you can tell

No, I hear you. Typically, I really like the blast white look but in this series I am beginning to waiver. The molted or moulted look kind of adds character to the coin. I still am not a fan of the rainbow colors though

I have several nice gem Franklins. The ones I like are the cameo proofs, or the solid toned colored ones which are little harder to find than the mottled ones. A couple of mine have nice rainbow edge with an exceptional clean strike. Two are NGC * coins. I can't get a decent photograph of them and the scans do not do justice to them.

It is a nice, under-appreciated series. thumbsup2.gif

I'm really not a big fan of the series as it appears to have plain, very low relief designs both obverse and reverse. The eagle on the reverse was not initially included in the plans for the coin until it was realized that the eagle was required by law to be on the half dollar.

At one point I built a complete MS63/64 set of white Franklins but have since sold them and kept this single coin.

I1953DP65FBL.jpg

I1953DP65FBLR.jpg

yes, but it symbolizies AMERICA. Liberty bell in front, and our eagle flexing its muscles. The eagle looks like Arnold telling everyone else they have a flabby *spoon*, and we are going to Pump You Up!

My favorite series is the WL half for looks but this Franklin despite the weak obverse suggests a strong America.

Well, I think I'm going to pay closer attention to Franklin Halves. It's kind of like the series that didn't take off with everything else. I get several of the old fashioned mailout price lists with just a description, grade, and price. Six - 7 months ago, there were a few GemBU, MS & PF and around 10 NGC/PCGS PF's. Now, on one, there's about 45 Franklins listed.

Jerry

This is an under-apreciated series, however prices on higher grades used to be through the roof but have fallen (in some cases by many multiples) over the last 2 years or so, due to a continually growing population of certifed higher grades. 1954-D used to be $thousands$ in MS66FBL; now you can get a nice one for $700-1200. The ONLY date that hasn't been affected is 1953-S in FBL, which coninues to rise as it's relative rarity also increases. Coins with beautiful color have also remained strong in this series.

With prices falling, it may in fact be a good time to buy these coins. However, you just dont know how many more of them will show up (Omaha Bank Hoard tonofbricks.gif) and prices may still need to fall a bit.

I recently bought a Dansco to house my raw Franklins. Since then I purchased a few others including this Omaha Hoard 1948 MS 64 FBL

1948o.jpg

1948r.jpg

These are no longer in their plastic shells, of course. I have always thought Franklins were cool coins. And I will eventually complete the set (I am currently half way there), and I will not be replacing my circulated examples with uncircs. The circs I have I think are rather cool. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Nice original coin, MBA, but how can it be FBL with the hit across the third band on the top? confused-smiley-013.gif

This is why I, in general, do not like these specialty modifiers, there is just too much fudge factor involved.

Victor, the coin MBA was showing had been in a PCGS holder and the PCGS definition for FBL counts only the bottom set of lines for the designation, whereas NGC counts both sets of lines for this designation.

Victor, the coin MBA was showing had been in a PCGS holder and the PCGS definition for FBL counts only the bottom set of lines for the designation, whereas NGC counts both sets of lines for this designation.

Thanks for the info, Tom. I find such arbitrary definitions absurd and insulting. It is like for the ASE and AGE registries, a complete set needs the 20th anniverary designation; first strike; and regular strike coins even though they are the same damn coin. Market makers is all the TPGS's are! mad.gif

And the ANA selling its endorsement instead of causing a company to earn it.

All of the above actions plus is what is disgusting about this hobby to me!

sign-rantpost.gif

Thanks for the info, Tom. I find such arbitrary definitions absurd and insulting. It is like for the ASE and AGE registries, a complete set needs the 20th anniverary designation; first strike; and regular strike coins even though they are the same damn coin. Market makers is all the TPGS's are! mad.gif

And the ANA selling its endorsement instead of causing a company to earn it.

All of the above actions plus is what is disgusting about this hobby to me!

sign-rantpost.gif

blush.gif

Nice original coin, MBA, but how can it be FBL with the hit across the third band on the top? confused-smiley-013.gif

This is why I, in general, do not like these specialty modifiers, there is just too much fudge factor involved.

The TPG holder and FBL designation matter not since the coin now resides in a Dansco. And remarkably, the Heritage pictures capture the color of this coin quite nicely. It gives me the warm fuzzies when you can buy a nice, major TPG graded coin on line for 40 bucks and not have to worry. yay.gif

I think Frankies are GREAT! The design is less than optimal, but Ben was a WAY cool dude, and there is a certain charm to the coin. Also, I like larger coins (halves, dollars etc.) where you can actually see what is going on on the coin without going blind. Frankies are great in that there are only 35 date/mintmarks and there are no stoppers unless you go for fbl in which case the '53-S can get pretty pricey. The proof set is even easier to complete... 14 pieces.

I got started with cameo/deep cameo Frankies because I think the simplicity of the design really works well in a black and white format. You can get some absolute killer cameos for around $200, and some nice ones for less than $100. Toned Frankies are fun in that they are actually quite a challenge to find with nice toning, and reasonably inexpensive when you do find one. I'm about 1/3 - 1/2 through completing the set in toners, buying the tougher dates in MS65 and the more common dates in MS66 (FBL preferred, but not necessary). I may eventually get around to collecting a blast white set, but that will be raw coins in the AU58 to MS63 range.

Here's a PCGS PR67DCAM.

1958fr67dcam2obv.jpg

And here's a PCGS MS66FBL

Franklin58DP66fbl_450.jpg

Great post, Skyman.

Sigh.....there is nothing like a deep cameo Franklin. This takes the coin from average to stupendous! cloud9.gif