• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Reason Why Americans Don't Like the Dollar Coin (from my mom)

35 posts in this topic

I don't see a good reason to predict that the new Presidential Dollar series of coins will succeed as circulating coins any more than the current one dollar coins do. BUT, if the Treasury gets rid of the one dollar bill, the one dollar coins will be successful as a circulating coin --because the paper option will be gone.

When I travel in Europe or the UK I don't feel deprived or weighted down because I cannot carry one pound or one euro as a bill in my wallet. And the two pound and two euro coins are pretty handy also.

As others have pointed out, there are political reasons for keeping the status quo in the US. How a high a priority is it for Congress to make such a visible change that will be noticed by everyone in the US --even if it were a good idea?

Rich

The U.S., Australia and Canada are the only countries that I am aware of that uses cent or cents.
There are quite a few places in the world that use cent or other derivation of the base words centimo, centesimo and sen according to Wikipedia. It may be more common than pence.

I'm just trying to push Scott B. to the verge of a mental breakdown.

sign-funnypost.gif Sorry... it will take more than that! What you don't know is that you're dealing with a native New Yorker! cool.gif I was born crazy... so I have an excuse!! bumpit.gif

Scott screwy.gif