• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern proof rolls ordering??

11 posts in this topic

Modern proof rolls ordering?? How and where can you order full rolls of proofs from the San Fran. Mint? I was looking into this a while ago but came up with nothing so I figured maybe one or a few of the board members would possibly know, thanks, D

I thought proofs only came in the set's from the mint for modern coins.

Yes, that’s true. These rolls are typically made up by dealers or collectors who pick through proof sets looking for high grade examples. The coins that are left over are then put into rolls and sold.

John

wouldn't rolling them really damage the PROOF surface? sounds like a lousy deal.

It's relatively easy to remove coins from sets without damaging them. There are many techniques in use but most will rarely result in damage. Some companies have even made machinery for cutting mint and proof sets since using tools can result in repetetive strain injuries.

wouldn't rolling them really damage the PROOF surface?

Mike,

I would think so, and actually, I’ve never really understood why anyone would want to buy them, but I have seen them being sold from time to time.

John

I would think so, and actually, I’ve never really understood why anyone would want to buy them, but I have seen them being sold from time to time.

If you get lucky, it can be quite profitable.

I bought a roll of 2001 Proof Sackies - for $150.

sold them as singles on eBay for $55 - $75 each. I wish I'd have bought a thousand rolls!!

thx, GAB

If you get lucky, it can be quite profitable.

I bought a roll of 2001 Proof Sackies - for $150.

sold them as singles on eBay for $55 - $75 each. I wish I'd have bought a thousand rolls!!

thx, GAB

You can buy a bag set of most any date you want without too much trouble. That's 2000 halfs, 4,000 quarters etc.

Quality tends to be a little better than what's found in proof sets. This is because very few coins are usually removed for slabbing and many culls and inferior coins are simply placed into circulation. If you look at lots of circulating coins, it is not in the least unusual to find these. Large numbers hit circulation when there are promotions or when the set price drops. The same thing happens to mint sets and even larger numbers get spent because there are larger numbers of culls. Nearly half of '76 t I dollars are of too poor quality to retail. A few others may be even worse.