• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loupe for viewing coins

13 posts in this topic

This has been discussed a number of times, so if you do a forum search on the matter you will likely find more opinions on the subject, that could be of value, than may appear in this individual thread.

I use a Bausch & Lomb aspheric 5x loupe that costs about $5-$8. These are great for 99% or more of my viewing needs. For that less than 1% of the time that I need more I use a Zeiss 10x and there really is no better quality around than a Zeiss, but you will pay much more for this.

What is the best loupe for viewing coins?

Eschenbach 3/6/9 or Zeiss 3/6/9

Both are Expensive - but well worth the money - using either of these loupes will pay for themselves in preventing buying mistakes and helping you find and buy nice quality coins - If you collected expensive coins (anything over $500/coin) an absolute must - However, if you collect cheap coins - then a cheap loupe will suffice.

I just wanted something basic to begin with to help me see some of the mint marks on some of my morgans and other coins that are hard to see with the naked eye. Thanks for all the advise.

Both are Expensive - but well worth the money - using either of these loupes will pay for themselves in preventing buying mistakes and helping you find and buy nice quality coins - If you collected expensive coins (anything over $500/coin) an absolute must - However, if you collect cheap coins - then a cheap loupe will suffice.

I Kinda agree 893scratchchin-thumb.gif,,,,I think 893scratchchin-thumb.gif,,,,I mean I have some coins I paid cheap but with the help of my not so cheap B&L 10x triplet I won't be selling cheap... devil.gif

Edited to say; 893scratchchin-thumb.gif actually I completely agree.....I tend to think of it this way....Craftsman are good reliable tools,,,But once you grab a hold of a Snap-on satin finish wrench you will most likely leave the craftsman in the box thumbsup2.gif

I Kinda agree 893scratchchin-thumb.gif,,,,I think 893scratchchin-thumb.gif,,,,I mean I have some coins I paid cheap but with the help of my not so cheap B&L 10x triplet I won't be selling cheap... devil.gif

27_laughing.gif

Do your eyes a favor at a young age. Buy something nice.

I waited too many years but finally went with the Eschenbach 3+6=9. I'm seeing stuff I never noticed before.

smile.gif

I have been recommending the Eschenbach 3/6/9 in posts asking about loupes on this board for quite some time. I’m glad that some of you guys are finally seeing for yourselves what a difference a quality loupe can make.

John

Dwaine,

You can buy one here ihobb.com This site has the lowest price I've seen. The model I recomend is the 9870-B. It has two seperate lenens, a 3X & a 6X.

They can be used together for a combined 9X, which is much more then what is needed for coin grading. I use the 6X lens for general use and combine both lenses if I really want to see something up close.

John