• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin

41 posts in this topic

Coins should represent the best a nation has to offer. It is better to raise people than to sink to their level.

If we want to be following the crowd, why not invent a biodegradable, plastic coin that can be used for poker, gambling, tiddly-winks or whatever game is popular at the moment? These little discs could feature full color pictures of popular celebrities and athletes. The coin would have a life-span of say, 5-10 years so it could self-destruct as the person falls out of favor. Something new could be created to match the latest fad and the lowest common denominator of our culture.

This would be a fitting tribute to our disposable society which already values paper bills that have a life expectancy of 18 months over a coin that can last 30+ years in circulation.

sign-rantpost.gif

This would be a fitting tribute to our disposable society which already values paper bills that have a life expectancy of 18 months over a coin that can last 30+ years in circulation.
I'm not convinced the problem lies with the consumers since we've seen people will use coins when bills are removed from circulation in other countries. I'm guessing it's more of a political problem at the US Congress and US Mint levels. It would be interesting to see if there are any lobbists on this issue and what their positions are.

If we want to get to the bottom of this we should have people write their representatives and senators on this issue. We should also have a website that documents the position of each official. This has been done on other issues to figure out which officials are holding up an issue.

This is personal and anecdotal evidence but I have three women in my home who think I am nuts for preferring a dollar coin to a dollar bill. Think of what it will do to your pockets? Think of how heavy it would make a purse? If we used Pre-SBA sized dollars they may have a point but with these new-fangled ones slightly larger than a quarter, the argument diminishes. These consumers still say, "Give us paper over coins!" Maybe the politicians are listening to them wink.gif

These consumers still say, "Give us paper over coins!" Maybe the politicians are listening to them wink.gif
If some people are telling their politicians they prefer paper while coin proponents are not talking to their politicans, the problem lies with the coin proponents. Coin proponents need to call up their politicans as well! This is how the US works smile.gif I personally prefer the UKs smaller/thicker 1 pound coins to the sba/sac dollar size.

The primary reason we are stuck with the dollar IMHO is that the company that is the SINGLE producer of the paper for US currency is in Sen. Edward Kennedy's state. The one dollar bill consumes 60 percent of the output of this product. Jobs would be lost in his state, so you know we are not going to kill the paper dollar while he is in office.
DeepCoin posted this at the other forums. To me, this sounds like the most plausible reason for why we still have the rag buck. That and there isn't a movement to get other politicans to care very much. Politicans have to choose their battles and I bet many of them don't want to go up against Edward Kennedy for an issue which they may not care about very much personally.

That's easy to answer because the Florida coin came out before the Texas coin, it had to be Florida!

That was the point of the survey: to show that state quarters are educational. thumbsup2.gif