• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Large Cent 1811/0 Variety Help

10 posts in this topic

I recently bid on and won this large cent. It has some surface scratches, and is not the prettiest of coins, but I think it has a 1 over 0 variety 1811/0. I can not find much info about this variety, and if anyone has a good picture to help attribute I would appreciate the help. Thanks for your comments regarding condion and grade, too. I just started a Large Cent collection, and the small mintage of the 1811 made it worth owning.

DSC_6105.jpg

DSC_6106.jpg

DSC_6115.jpg

DSC_6114.jpg

This is actually a nice coin and would benefit in the long-term becoming a pocket piece for a year or so. Making it a pocket piece will wear the coin slightly and make the contour of the scratches less abrupt, which will improve the appearance dramatically. (I currently have four coppers as pocket pieces for the same basic reason.) The wear on the coin will take some of the patina off, but over time, it will return and can also be worked on to return the coin to a more natural brown appearance.

As for the attribution, I'll require my reference material, even though I should know the Sheldon number by sight. I believe the coin is an S-286 and would grade VG10 details, G04 net, Scudzy at this time by EAC standards. I think the coin would eventually grade G06, A or A- if kept as a pocket piece for long enough and followed with the proper care.

Hoot

Indeed, it's an S-286 and worth somewhere around $85 to $100. With better surfaces, the coin would appreciate in value to, perhaps, $150 or so. A VG would be worth quite a bit more, but the net effects of the surface abrasions would prevent that assessment.

All of that said, again, I rather like the coin, but I'm fond of the classic head cents.

Hoot

A large cent collection can be rewarding and challenging at the same time. I have recently started one, and Classic Head LCs with decent surfaces are hard to find, and are quite pricey when you do find one. I, too, agree that yours is a 286, and I agree with Hoot's assessment of the grade.

I'm starting with the middle dates (1816 - 1839) because of the quantity of varieties available for reasonable prices. Enjoy your collection !!!

Hoot, excuse my ignorance, buy I assume a pocket piece means put 'er in my pocket by itself, and hope I don't lose it? You also said "can also be worked on to return the coin to a more natural appearance" and "followed with proper care". Could you please elaborate, as I am new to the collection or early coppers. I am thankful in advance for your expertise. Bob

Hoot, excuse my ignorance, buy I assume a pocket piece means put 'er in my pocket by itself, and hope I don't lose it? You also said "can also be worked on to return the coin to a more natural appearance" and "followed with proper care". Could you please elaborate, as I am new to the collection or early coppers. I am thankful in advance for your expertise. Bob

Hi Bob -

What I mean is to place the coin in your pocket along with the rest of your change and keys. If you don't carry coins in your pocket, then you should get some just for the occasion. smile.gif Coins of different sizes, and you'll either need keys or a non-flat object, like a small bolt. Carry them around together for about a year. After that time, you can remove the bolt and carry them another three or six months with just the change.

This process will take the surfaces down naturally, as if the coin were in circulation. This will smooth out the discontinuities, and some detail will be lost. However, remember that the coin's details already exceed the net effects of all the detriments to the surfaces, so this is really an okay thing, and it's like the coin is being returned to circulation.

The coin after this time will be coppery with black accumulations of pocket debris/oils and toning near and in the devices. This is where all of these coins started when removed from circulation. They may have been darker, like the occasional 1962 Lincoln cent you get in change. However, the patina will either take a lot of time to return, or you can give it a head start by using a darkener, such as Deller's Darkener to help the progress.

Deller's darkener is petrolium jelly and powdered sulfur. The sulfur reacts with the copper as it does when received from circulation. (In circulation, other reactive substances reach the surface, but it's sulfur and amino acids in your skin's oil that do the majority of the work to "tone" copper.) The darkener goes on judiciously and thinly, and then is brushed with a soft, natural bristle brush (such as camel hair) to distribute it evenly on the surface and remove the excess. Raw copper wants to tone, so this process is rapid.

An alternative is to leave the coin wrapped in a paper grocery bag in the window sill for a couple of years. Or, if you have a radiant heater that you can put the coin over, wrap it and put it in a corrugated cardboard box, then on the heater. Leave for a few months at a time. The coin will tone. Rubbing the surface lightly with your fingers will help distribute the substances that are causing it to tone. Over time, the coin will look like it should - a brown, toned, circulated copper.

Patience is key.

Many people would be horrified by what I just said. That's fine, but if you don't believe me, then just buy a copy of William Sheldon's Penny Whimsy and read it cover to cover. You'll learn more than just about coppers, you'll learn about the basis of modern-day collecting and grading.

Hoot

Hoot, thanks for the VERY informative posting. The coin is startinga facelift as we speak. I'll take occasional pictures and post them as the work in progress evolves. I'll also keep an eye out for other pieces to complete my album. Any nice pics to share of your LC's? Bob hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif