• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions Please about this Coin(caution dial-ups a few pictures here)

19 posts in this topic

I have posted a thread about this coin before but didn't really have any good pictures. These pictures are not the best but should give you a good idea of what the coin looks like. I would like some thoughts and comments about this coin, what happened error type is it worth getting submitted? ect... Thanks D

here are a few pictures warning to the dial-uppers might take a few minutes.

a940e122.jpg1-2.jpg

1-3.jpg1-4.jpg

1-5.jpg1-6.jpg

1-7.jpg1-8.jpg

1-9.jpg1-10.jpg

1-11.jpg1-12.jpg

1-13.jpg

I can definitely see the doubling... If its not a recognized error (I don't know whether it is or not) then I'd reccomend sending it to an expert to be looked at.

Thanks for reply I got this a few weeks ago while going through $20 of pennies 27_laughing.gif I will have to try and send it in but to who ??

It appears to be FS # 1c - 037; Breen #2314. According to CPG, this variety is well-known and can still be found in circulation. You could send it to Billy Crawford or J.T. Stanton.

Chris

Thanks for reply I got this a few weeks ago while going through $20 of pennies 27_laughing.gif I will have to try and send it in but to who ??

It appears to be FS # 1c - 037; Breen #2314. According to CPG, this variety is well-known and can still be found in circulation. You could send it to Billy Crawford or J.T. Stanton.

Chris

where do I find the info to ship to one of them? thanks for the reply. D

also where did you find th einfo about this coin?

Chris

where do I find the info to ship to one of them? thanks for the reply. D

also where did you find th einfo about this coin?

You can contact JT by e-mail: JTSTANTON@aol.com

I got the info from the Cherrypickers Guide, 4th Edition.

Chris

Sorry but this is Strike Doubling. Some call it machine doubling. The FS # 1c - 037 is Die doubling. Coppercoins site has a great pic of the 037.

It's still a really cool coin and something that I would and do save. I just don't see it as a true doubled die. When you see profile doubling like this you really do need to be thinking machine doubling. In this case the obverse die twisted to the right as the coin was struck. The die itself had no doubling.

Cherrypickers guide has a really great section on this that makes it much easier to understand. Just the way I see it.

Sorry but this is Strike Doubling. Some call it machine doubling. The FS # 1c - 037 is Die doubling. Coppercoins site has a great pic of the 037.

It's still a really cool coin and something that I would and do save. I just don't see it as a true doubled die. When you see profile doubling like this you really do need to be thinking machine doubling. In this case the obverse die twisted to the right as the coin was struck. The die itself had no doubling.

Cherrypickers guide has a really great section on this that makes it much easier to understand. Just the way I see it.

I agree that it looks machine doubleing, Amanda did a pretty good post about machine doubleing ,,maybe she can direct us to it..

Doubling is really crazy to understand. One reason for this is that there are so many different ways it can happen. Add in that many experts can't agree on what to call some of the types and it gets really fun.

I thought this might help with one small part of this subject. Notice how all the doubling in this first image is nicely rounded upward. This is one of the looks to true die doubling with 20th century coins.

image0769ww7.jpg

The same holds true to the 84 cent. Notice how the doubling on the ear is raised and rounded.

image0762np6.jpg

This last image if typical of strike doubling. Notice the flat shelf look to the doubling.

image0539tp0.jpg

As I said this is just a small part of this subject and even this part could be debated for some time.

Maybe someone else would care to help with the serif split part of this?

One thing that has been a problem for me is that my vision is not good enough to see the minute details clearly. Also, my camera is limited in its capability of capturing the extreme close-ups without losing definition. As soon as I return from Northern Virginia, the first thing I am going to do is buy a stereomicroscope with photographic capability. I've already looked at a couple that cost about $850 with the "flex cam". Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there certain specifications I should consider?

Chris

I'm in the same boat Chris. It's getting to where I need the image on the screen to really see details. I use an old stereomicroscope that only lets me do 10x or 30x and wish it would do something in the middle. Never found a photo setup for it that I liked but that was years ago. They make some really cool stuff now. I'm not up on what is best for stereomicroscope images but these thoughts came to mind and you probably already thought of it.

You need quality optics in front of the imaging device.

I could be wrong but I would think that you want these same optics to handle any zoom needed and not the device.

One other thought is about the software. It's really nice to see the image on the screen right as you take it. It's a great time saver. Being able to control the imaging device from the PC with the mouse is nice as well. smile.gif