• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you buy for $75?

23 posts in this topic

I'm toying around with buying something in the $75 range, which is a big splurge for me. I'd like to get a really nice coin, something probably EF+, maybe 19th century (certainly nothing modern - well, maybe a Franklin or Franklin commem, but not for $75 wink.gif ). Ideally, I'd like it to be something currently undervalued that I can perhaps sell for a small profit sometime in the next few years. Problem free is a must.

I don't know. Maybe I'll let the money burn a hole in my pocket a while longer. I can never make up my mind, and I don't want to buy something that doesn't catch my interest immediately. But if you had ~$75 to spend what would you buy?

Michael,

It sounds like you don’t really have any particular type of coin in mind right now. I’ll tell you what I would do. I’d hang onto the money, maybe even add to it if I could, until I eventually see something that is really nice and I really want.

You’ll know what to spend the money on when you see it. wink.gif

John

I might go for a nice FE. Some folks probably wouldn't. smile.gif

Go for something in line with the goal or the interest you have at the time. Be picky with whatever you buy.

Just my first thoughts.

Michael,

It sounds like you don’t really have any particular type of coin in mind right now. I’ll tell you what I would do. I’d hang onto the money, maybe even add to it if I could, until I eventually see something that is really nice and I really want.

John

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris

My point of view is that $75 aint worth shieit smile.gif .. Save it and look at your collections and say I would really like that to add to it .. research ...ask questions of knowlegeable people and purchase with a smile and not with a

" well its what I could buy for 75 bux" attitude ... purchase with knowledge - insight from other collectors and *poof* the smile will follow ... as you have made an intelligent decision not marred by monitary constraints ... and added a 'wanted' coin to your collection NOT a "next best thing" coin

my 2c

m

Don't let money burn a hole in your pocket!

Find something you REALLY like. You know, the coin you look at and every time you look at it you just KNOW it rocks.

-Amanda

I'm not in any rush. I've just been wanting to buy something other than the cheapies I usually get and I was looking to get some ideas that might make me think of something I haven't thought of before. Just because $75 isn't a buncha money doesn't mean I can't get something nice for my type set.

If you want a type coin, a crusty, super-original bust dime or half-dime in VF+ might be perfect. But you could also pick up a high-end, attractive Shield nickel or Liberty nickel.

For future investment, consider socking away a 1949-S Franklin half in MS-64, if you can find one. That is a coin that's been slowly but steadily disappearing from the marketplace, yet is still under the radar.

I personally would reccomend a nice, original bust half, but that may run you closer to $100.

The later date CBHs have higher mintages – some above 5 million. Those tend to go for a little less than the earlier ones, all things being equal. I bet if you look long enough and talk to enough people you could find one somewhere between $75 and $100.

I seem to remember selling a PCGS 1810 CBH to someone for $75 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've been looking around at the CBHs - I really like them, but I wonder how nice of a coin I can get in the $75-$100 range. Lately I've been feeling like even though I really love some of the older stuff, maybe I ought to focus on more affordable series that I can actually afford to occasionally add to in a nice grade frown.gif. While I can appreciate an old CBH in VG or F condition, it just lacks a certain appeal that I associate with a coin retaining much more design detail, such as you get with an EF or AU coin. For a type collection, I'd like to collect in the MS range as much as is affordable, but for the older coins, I'd be happy with a nice EF like this one.

1475551-025-1891.jpg

If I could pick up a nice original CBH in that condition that had good eye appeal, I'd probably pull the trigger. I think that my price range of $75-$100 would also accommodate a nice AU/MS shield/liberty/buffalo nickel of a common year if I found the right one. I'm sick of looking on eBay, however, and seeing lackluster, overpriced, incorrectly graded crud. I feel ten times better buying from fellow board members here who I've seen express a desire to hold honest transactions involving *gasp!* quality coins.

1475551-025-1891.jpg.3e297963efbec010527a1b6aaab9a1a4.jpg

If I could pick up a nice original CBH in that condition that had good eye appeal, I'd probably pull the trigger.

I think most of us would, Michael...

Go for it! If you really can't find one for $75-$100, then hold out a little while. Save up your coin budget and buy only little things until you can get your coin. That;s what I'm doing and its working okay for me.

You should be able to pick up a nice CBH for around $75-100. I've seen VF30-35 coins in that price range, all later dates of course. You could also get some more seated coinage for your type set.

Michael,

John

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris

I'll "third" that motion. Just because you've got money burning a hole in your pocket doesn't mean you have to spend it. Wait for a coin to find you rather than the other way around. You'll be better off in the long run if you figure out what you want to do in coins before you start buying random stuff just to to buy. Of course, it may take some stumbling around with different coins before you figure out what you really want to do, so I say go for it. Or not. Got it?

grin.gif

Well, to be fair, I'm not really looking to "buy random stuff just to buy something". I currently work on three series sets (Lincoln cents, Kennedy Halves, and SBA dollars) with a side project being a US Type Set from 1800-present. I've got a number of coins left to purchase for the type set, and since I had a little money available I wanted some suggestions as to where I ought to go next in the type set. I think I've settled on CBHs. Now I'm just going to take my time and keep an eye out for a nice example for the type set. In the meantime, I'm trying to sell off some of my lower-grade coins from my younger days to generate funds.