• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this Buffalo Nickel

12 posts in this topic

I posted this accross the street, so no cheating!!!!

I don't know what possessed me today, but I went into a box that I have and noticed some old coins I've had since I was a kid. I can say that I've had them for at least 39 yr because in it was a coin that a childhood friend had given me. He lived in England and wanted me to have one of their coins, so he gave me a brand new 1/2 penny dated 1967, and it's remained with those other coins since. One of them is this Buffalo nickel that at first I thought was corroded, but after leaving it on my desk, glancing over to it, I noticed that it wasn't corroded afterall!

What's going on with it?

279441515_68177a476a.jpg

279441516_1b2873b50e.jpg

Cool effect. My first thought, for what it is worth, is that someone was trying to make a hobo type coin out of this with the formation of a beard and the outline for a hat or helmet on the head and for whatever reason gave up.

I think it's an imitative attempt, not a "real" attempt to create a hobo nickel. In other words, someone saw a hobo nickel at some point in his travels, and decided to see if he could figure out how to do it. He got an awl or something, poked these holes, then realized that he had no clue how to create a hobo nickel properly, and so gave up.

Just my completely uninformed opinion...

I think it's an imitative attempt, not a "real" attempt to create a hobo nickel. In other words, someone saw a hobo nickel at some point in his travels, and decided to see if he could figure out how to do it. He got an awl or something, poked these holes, then realized that he had no clue how to create a hobo nickel properly, and so gave up.

Just my completely uninformed opinion...

That was my impression, too.

Obviously someone started to make an attempt at "hobo-ing" this specimen, then quit.

Notice the attempt at adding a goatee to the chin.

They probably stopped the alteration when it didn't pan out.

Too bad. It's still collectable...............

And it is a two-feather variety.

Pete