• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any idea what someone did to this 1848 cent?

10 posts in this topic

If soaking the coin in water won't remove the white stuff, then I'd rule out the soft scrub idea, but the coin may well have been polished, such as with a silver polish. EZ off oven cleaner will likely remove the white stuff, but it may require some gentle coersion with a Q-tip. The surfaces are all wrong for color, no matter how you look at it, so I think you have little to lose (and a low grade '48 is worth little, monetarily). Follow the removal with a light brushing of Deller's Darkener using a camel hair brush - don't be excessive. The coin will re-tone over time.

Another thing to do with such a coin is carry it around in your pocket for 6 months or more. That will improve it dramatically and will knock off all the crud. Then leave it to re-tone. This is likely what I'd do. (I have four large cents in my pocket right now!)

Hoot

(I have four large cents in my pocket right now!)

Hoot

In the same pocket? By the time you're finished, they'll be small cents.

Chris

(I have four large cents in my pocket right now!)

Hoot

In the same pocket? By the time you're finished, they'll be small cents.

Chris

By the time I'm done, I'll have no cents, since I'm senseless now.

Hoot

I've had something similar happen after removing pvc from circulated copper using acetone. The underlying detritus turned a whitish color. I just dipped them in mineral oil, patted off the excess, and let them air dry. The color returned to the normal darkness.