• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Travers' Top 88 Coins Over $100

12 posts in this topic

I'll be forthright when I say that most of my numismatic literature has either been sold or is stored in my attic.

I keep few coin books on my bookshelf, and among those are a few books on the history of the US Mint, Cohen's book on Half Cents and some Bust Half literature...or so I thought.

I went for my copy of Cohen's book this afternoon and when I tried placing it back on the bookshelf, I couldn't get it back in. Scott Travers' Top 88 Coins Over $100 was stuffed in the back of the bookcase and fell into the slot where I kept Cohen.

I've been looking for that book on and off for a few months, and it's an amazing find.

I love that book. It was one of the first coin books that I bought with my first 'rebirth' as a collector, and now that I feel like I'm in my 'second' rebirth, I'm enjoying going through it again.

I think this is a great book for the newer collectors and for seasoned collectors who feel they may have lost their way. This book makes comparisons between what Travers calls his HOTLIST and his BLACKLIST. It compares coins of real value to those that might be commonly collected with minimal value...by comparison.

I'm glad it finally rose from the ashes on my bookshelf.

is there anyone who likes this book besides me?

Nope. Looks like it’s just you Mike. wink.gif

All kidding aside, it sounds like a good book. I’ll keep it in mind, but I’ve already got my next two books lined up.

I have never read Travers' book, but I really really like the 100 Greatest US Coins!

-Amanda

Whenever I look at that book I fantasize a time machine or something like that telling my ancestors: "keep that coin!!! it's gonna be worth a million bucks in the future!".

Whenever I look at that book I fantasize a time machine or something like that telling my ancestors: "keep that coin!!! it's gonna be worth a million bucks in the future!".

Actually, I'd rather have someone in the past tell me to buy Microsoft stock in 1986 and then later go buy the coin at a million dollars. grin.gif

jom

Mike, I didn't respond to your initial post, since I don't like to post negative sounding posts. My thoughts on this particular subject are on the negative side, but since you insist.... wink.gifsmile.gif

I do not like this book. I read it some time ago, and it seems to me that the only criteria used to determine the desirability of the coins mentioned is their financial potential. While I think that's an important factor for investors and collectors, it isn't the only factor, nor is it the most important (at least not to me). The book brings no discussion of historic and esoteric value to the coins.

So I have to say that for me, this is by no means a favorite book. In fact, I donated my copy to the local coin club auction.

I'm reviving this post because I happened across this book again on my bookshelf, where it now stands, and spent the past couple of hours thumbing through it and looking up coins in the Heritage archives.

I agree with you James, that it takes a financia twist to the value of these coins, and Q. David Bowers insinuates that himself in the preface, but also points out that the book makes you think. And I love that particular sense Travers is talking about. There are so many ways of determining value of a coin, and I feel so strongly that he wakes me up, every time I look through this book.

I think this would be a great book not just for beginning collectors, to help them learn a kind of way of differentiating coins from one another, but also for more experienced collectors, especially if you're looking for numismatic/financial value for coins different from the ones you normally collect (you being the generic 'you').

I love this book!

lets combine these two diametrically opposed viewpoints

1111) and collect not only value opportunity coins

but

2222) coins with great eye cloud9.gifappeal, historical893applaud-thumb.gifsignificance and a coolness factor cool.gif

with a higher end of the condition census that is truly scarce to rare

and then by collecting just number #2..............

you got a synergy combinging both of the above hail.gif

simple and synergistic

and do not be afraid to pm me if you want a list (not a complete list mind you) but a good list of number *2222*

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

Once again..........oh boring me.......I'm reviving this post about a book that helps the collector learn to differentiate between steak and sizzle.

Once again..........oh boring me.......I'm reviving this post about a book that helps the collector learn to differentiate between steak and sizzle.

Yeah it appeared to be a big hit last time you posted it – good thinking thumbsup2.gifwink.giftongue.gifwink.gif

i luv the steak and sizzle thread thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

okie all you coin buggs

give me your top 10 coins over $500 for value opportunity history and scarcity

here goes and not necessarily in order....... if circ. must be any grade above fine and eye appealling if proof must be choice to gem and with strong cameo

1) pine tree shillings circ

2) proof only trade dollars

3) flying eagle cents circ to gem to proof

4) proof non dipped morgan dollars with nice original toning

5) seated dollars nice circ and proof better dates a plus

6) any unc. territorial gold

7) any choice au better date three dollar gold

8) 1794 half dimes any circ grade

9) any circ non morgan cc coinage

10) any pre 1815 early copper nice circ and average+ surfaces

flowerred.gif