• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Toning

3 posts in this topic

I have to admit, I have been reading the posts about toning without really concentrating. This is mainly because I am not a big fan of toned coins. Please don't flame me for this... flamed.gif I just find a blast white, DMPL, or even a coin in its natural metal state a more attractive coin.

I know toning is a chemical reaction of the metal to its elements (I have read Coin Chemistry by Weimar White). But I am confused a bit by the difference between Natrual Toning and Artificial Toning. Based on what I have read, here is my interpretation:

• Natrual Toning is the result of ordinary reaction of the metal as a result of the environment. This includes the storing of coins in something where the reaction of the metal and the paper has caused the chemical reaction that resulted in the toning.
  • Artificial Toning is the result of a chemical reaction to a reagent that was deliberately placed on the coin. The result is the coin will be toned in a manner that is not induced by its environment.

If I am correct, what if I take a handful of Morgan dollars, store them in a paper envelope in my safe deposit box for 10+ years for the purpose of toning the coins for a future sale. Would this be considered natural of artificial toning? confused-smiley-013.gif

Your thoughts?

Scott hi.gif

Hi Scott.

My thoughts are that the distinction of toning between "natural" and "artificial" is obsolete anymore. There are coins that have been clearly artificially toned that have been certified by PCGS, NGC and ANACS. Conversely, there have been fully original toned coins whose history is well-known and even documented that were rejected by the same grading companies for "artificially toning".

A better division might be "acceptable toning" versus "unacceptable toning".

Just my thoughts, and this being such a divisive issue, I expect (and encourage) strongly dissenting opinions to this idea.

I agree with James....

Now days intent has a lot to do with determining AT vs. NT....and who's to say that you intended to tone those morgans by placing them in your safe deposit box? If it looks Market acceptable these days.........that seems to be all that matters. Plenty of NT and AT coins get grouped under that Market acceptable label so as James pointed out the lines of division are blurred to say the least.