• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943-D DIE CRACKS GRADE?? VALUE??ANYONE HAVE ANY OPINION thanks!!

16 posts in this topic

1943-D DIE CRACKS GRADE?? VALUE??

I just bought a UNC. Wartime set and was just looking at them this morning, and noticed that the 1943-D has 2 nice die cracks on the Rev. was this common during this time period also what do you think this coin grades as it is UNC. and has some nice golden toning I am guessing from being in the Whitman holder it was in. What would the value of this coin be?? any info would be great thanks,D

1014ge1.jpg

1015ui1.jpg

confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks Bruce.

are they worth getting graded though? i know scan looks like *spoon* but coin looks alot better inhand. Should I have this one graded and find another for my Dansco?

thanks again for reply!!

I'd agree that the coin would make a better album coin than one for a slab. The only '43-D nickels that carry a premium are those graded MS67 with 5 or 6 steps. The nickels of that year/Mint were hoarded, so there are plenty of them around in great shape. Unattractively toned pieces are better off lightly dipped and placed in albums to re-tone. Many of these toned with a mottled or speckled appearance due to improper storage in rolls. All things considered, your coin is about a 10-15 dollar piece and is a good album stuffer with the added interest from the die cracks.

Hoot

I'd agree that the coin would make a better album coin than one for a slab. The only '43-D nickels that carry a premium are those graded MS67 with 5 or 6 steps. The nickels of that year/Mint were hoarded, so there are plenty of them around in great shape. Unattractively toned pieces are better off lightly dipped and placed in albums to re-tone. Many of these toned with a mottled or speckled appearance due to improper storage in rolls. All things considered, your coin is about a 10-15 dollar piece and is a good album stuffer with the added interest from the die cracks.

Hoot

when you say lightly dipping in what type of solution would or should I use? Just so I know for the future.

thanks again for all the replies,D

The 1942-S has the infamous "Flag Pole" die crack running from the very peak of the Monticello dome to the rim...hence the name flag pole.

This is the first 43-D I see with multiple die cracks, they may command a bit more in premium, but as being unique or sought after, the full step designation is what will be sought after first.

You now have a nice filler for your album, amazing what a little dippity doo will do. smile.gif